Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NIghthawk AC1750 and Nighthawk AX5400 keep dropping wifi - tried everything!

camerondaw
Aspirant

NIghthawk AC1750 and Nighthawk AX5400 keep dropping wifi - tried everything!

Sorry long story, but I hope to get some answers because I have tried everything. Southcentral Texas person here, my ISP is Sparklight, and for the first year, everything was great. The issues started last week when our Router Nighthawk AC1750 R6700 (bought in 2018) kept dropping the wifi signal. When the signal went out, the modem and the router would show lights on and active as if we were getting internet, but no device from TV to laptop could pick up any internet. This happened randomly and would last for a short while or until we rebooted everything, and then WIFI came back up with no problem. Also, every time I called Sparklight, they had me try everything, from cycling the power on the router and modem, unplugging and unhooking to updating everything, to even having techs out to check our lines. They could not see any problem on their end. So I researched and realized maybe it was the router; it was older and hadn't been getting recent firmware updates. So I went out and bought the Nighthawk AX5400 WIFI 6 router. Saturday and yesterday, everything was great; our signal and speed were better throughout the house. Until last night, the router did the same thing; it showed it was getting internet from our ISP, and all the lights were blinking and active, indicating they were receiving data, but our internet was barely working. I could barely get a page to load, no pictures or videos. I had to reset the router to get it back to regular speeds. And then it happened again a few hours later, slow to barely any connection.

I am at the end of my rope on this, we work from home so having a randomly dropping wifi signal is migraine inducing.
If I could get some help on why this is happening, I would appreciate it!!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: NIghthawk AC1750 and Nighthawk AX5400 keep dropping wifi - tried everything!

What modem do you have from sparklight? 

Are you able to log into it and get a screensnip of its cable connections page and event logs? 

When you have issues, do wired devices drop as well or just wireless?

Message 2 of 9
camerondaw
Aspirant

Re: NIghthawk AC1750 and Nighthawk AX5400 keep dropping wifi - tried everything!

We bought our own modem which is also Netgear. I am attaching a screenshot of the log to this post. From my limited understanding I don't see any thing from the log that gives me clues to what is happening. 

So far it has been all wireless devices, I haven't had anything wired into the router when this happens.

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

the event logs from the modem and the cable connections page. it shows the upstream/downstream info

Message 4 of 9
camerondaw
Aspirant

Got it -

Message 5 of 9
camerondaw
Aspirant

Message 6 of 9
camerondaw
Aspirant

Message 7 of 9
camerondaw
Aspirant

All above are event logs, this last is the cable connections info

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

your power levels are out of spec. You should be between -7.5dbmv and 7.5 dbmv. You're at -15.3 to -12.8dbmv. 

Check your link for splitters, amplifiers, signal attenuators and remove them if you do. 

If you can, direct connect the modem to right where the line comes into the home to prevent wiring in the home being an issue. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7