Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NIghthawk R7000 as repeater/extender

MaxDockx
Aspirant

NIghthawk R7000 as repeater/extender

Hello,

We moved to a new house and we got a new router/modem from our internet/digital tv/phone provider. 

It is located in a small room where the electricity cabinet is. 

There are 4 utp ports in the walls around the house.

I got a Nighthawk r7000 from before we moved. I want to place it in the livingroom to extend the range.

Currently the digital tv receiver is plugged in the utp port in the living room. 

I thought i could plug in the r7000 there and then the digital tv receiver in the r7000. 

Is this going to work?

In which mode do i have to put the r7000? Will this affect the digital tv receiver? 

Thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

It possible that it may work then again, may not due to the processing and lower wireless performances when using extender or repeater modes and with the processing involved. Any chance you can use the R7000 as a LAN to LAN wireless AP? Would be best if you could connect this way or if the TV has a LAN port in back, use the LAN port for best wired performances. 

Check the R7000 UI for modes of operation. There maybe AP, Repeater or Extender modes listed. 

Message 2 of 12
William10a
Master

Youu are correct the r7000 has a access point or a bridge mode but no wireless repeater mode.

Here is the manual http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM.pdf

Page 134 is where the manual starts with instructions the access point would be the best mode to use.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it works out for you...

Message 4 of 12
MaxDockx
Aspirant

Hi,

Ive seen that the tv has an utp port but im not completely sure what would be the purpose of putting the r7000 in the tv

My installation is as followed. Utp out of the wall in the digital rv receiver. Then hdmi from receiver to the tv. If you plug the r7000 in the tv, how will it get internet?
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to plug the R7000 into your main host router using the LAN to LAN port AP mode configuration. Then plug your TV into the R7000 LAN ports in back. NOT the Internet port. 

Message 6 of 12
MaxDockx
Aspirant

The router is in another room than the tv. Would a direct utp cable in the r7000 and then the tv in the lan port of the r70000 work?
Message 7 of 12
netwrks
Master

Like this, as described above: <ethernet_cable_from_router>----->Connect_to_WAN/LAN_port_onR7000<----->connect_your_TV_on_a_R7000_LAN_port> turn on tv..

Message 8 of 12
MaxDockx
Aspirant

And r7000 in ap mode?
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes
Message 10 of 12
MaxDockx