Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NIghthawk X10 R9000 not connection to R7500v2 access point

jim1618
Aspirant

NIghthawk X10 R9000 not connection to R7500v2 access point

Hi everyone, I have had a Nighthawk X10 R9000 setup as my main router in router mode, and an R7500v2 connceted via LAN cable and set up as an access point for some time and it has worked well. 

The other day I used my Netgear phone app to connect to the R9000 and ran some suggested firmware updates, updating the R9000 to V1.0.4.26. After the update my wifi network upstairs dissapeared and I was unable to access the settings page for the R7500v2 access point.

I tried /ipconfig to find the access point but could not find it. Also logged into the R9000 and looked at connected devices... the R7500v2 is a "known" device on the list when i enable access control, but it is listed as not connected. The light of the port going from the main router and the light to the port going into the access point router are both amber. 

I've tried a factory reset, which gets me initially to the setup page for the AP. I go through the initial settings to put it into AP mode, and it tells me that it will assign itself 10.0.0.1 until setup is complete. It then restarts and at that point the web brouser never refreshes back to the setup screen and I cannot find the router anywhere. 

I think for some reason the firmware update on the R9000 is preventing the access point from receiving an IP address but I am not exactly sure how to go about fixing this probelm. Any help is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
jim1618
Aspirant

Mwhat, I’ll tell you what fixed it for me. I had the cable coming from the main router plugged into the WAN port on the access point. I guess it worked before to set it up either way, but after the firmware update you have to plug the main cable from the router into a LAN port on the access point. After this, I did a hard reset with the normal setup process where I changed my WiFi network name. Everything worked fine after, Including the WiFi network. Only thing that is bothering me now is I can’t get back into the access points setup page but that’s no big deal for me for now. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I think for some reason the firmware update on the R9000 is preventing
> the access point from receiving an IP address but I am not exactly sure
> how to go about fixing this probelm.

Settings reset and manual reconfiguration with the new firmware?

Restore the old firmware?  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in
your model number, and look for Downloads.  (For older versions, under
Firmware and Software Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)
Find the kit(s).  Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release
Notes" file for instructions.

Message 2 of 11

@jim1618 wrote:

I've tried a factory reset, which gets me initially to the setup page for the AP. I go through the initial settings to put it into AP mode, and it tells me that it will assign itself 10.0.0.1 until setup is complete.

Have you tried setting it up in AP mode without anything else on the network?

Remove R7500v2 from network. Disconnect PC from network. Connect R7500v2  to PC.

Set it up in AP mode.

Then reboot the network, starting things in the right order.

Maybe you have done all that, it isn't clear to me from your messages.

Message 3 of 11
jim1618
Aspirant

Yes I’ve tried to set it up without being connected. When I plug it back into the network it is not found. I also swapped the 7500v2 out for an older Asus router I have and I get the exact same issue, so I think my problem is with the r9000 main router.

Question, on the r9000 will a factory reset result in the WiFi name and password being reset? I thought I factory reset it but maybe I didn’t since the WiFi network remained.
Message 4 of 11
jim1618
Aspirant

Hi I did restore the old firmware but that did not resolve the problem.

I will try the factory reset again on the r9000 and report back since I think the first time I did it it didn’t actually reset (rebooted but wifi name was the same). I held reset for 30 seconds.
Message 5 of 11

@jim1618 wrote:
Yes I’ve tried to set it up without being connected. When I plug it back into the network it is not found.

How about the reboot order?

Message 6 of 11
jim1618
Aspirant

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by reboot order.

I disconnected the 7500v2 and did a factory reset, then changed the router to AP mode from setup, the whole time disconnected from the network. When I apply to change the router to AP mode it displays a status bar while the modem resets. The progress bar goes all the way to the end and then the browser view changes and shows a timed out error. I reconnect the AP to the internet and the light is amber. I ran an "ipconfig /all" from cmd (while disconnected from the network)  and the gateway address is just blank. When I keep the r7500v2 disconnected and try to access the setup page I cannot. 192.168.1.1 does not work, 10.0.0.1 does not work, routerlogin.net does not work. 

I should mention that the way the devices are wired has worked well before the firmware update. I did roll back the firmware to an earlier version on the r9000 and that did not work. I also successfully did the factory reset on the r9000 and went through setup again. After that I am still experiencing this problem. 

When I factory reset the r7500v2 to set it up in AP mode while connected to the main r9000 router, the connection status light is white. It remains white as I go through the setup steps to select to turn it into an AP, and it so on, then when it goes to restart the router in AP mode the restart always fails. The light on the modem will first turn amber, and then I get the timed out message on the browser. I am not sure, but it seems like the r7500v2 tries to obtain an address from the r9000 and at that point it is denied and thats when the light turns amber. Could it be a software issue with my anti virus program blocking the device? That doesnt seem to make sense since the aftware sits on the computer behind the router but I am not sure.  

Message 7 of 11
mwhat
Initiate

I'm having the same issue. I have Netgear R7900P as my main router, and R7500v2 as my access point. When I updated the firmware last week the R7500v2 stopped working correctly. If i configure the R7500v2 as a router it works, but once I change it to access point i cannot access it, and the wifi is somehow disabled. 

Any help appreciated. 

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 8 of 11
jim1618
Aspirant

Mwhat, I’ll tell you what fixed it for me. I had the cable coming from the main router plugged into the WAN port on the access point. I guess it worked before to set it up either way, but after the firmware update you have to plug the main cable from the router into a LAN port on the access point. After this, I did a hard reset with the normal setup process where I changed my WiFi network name. Everything worked fine after, Including the WiFi network. Only thing that is bothering me now is I can’t get back into the access points setup page but that’s no big deal for me for now. 

Message 9 of 11
mwhat
Initiate

jim1618, your solution did not work for me. So i have reverted to the old firmware on the  r7500v2. https://kb.netgear.com/000059662/R7500v2-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-38 

When I did this i was able to setup the access point correctly with no issues. I believe the must be a bug in the 1-0-3-40 version of the firmware. 

Message 10 of 11
HytheGuy
Aspirant

I just got my r7500v2 (Firmware V1.0.3.40) up and running as an access point through the (intended) WAN port . I'll go through my hardware and then steps on how I got the access point going.

MODEM/ROUTER (xb6-technicolor) => SWITCH (GS305) => ACCESS POINT (R7500v2)

1. Connected the Modem/Router (xb6) to the Switch (GS305) and ran ethernet to the WAN port on the AP (r7500v2).
2. Logged into the main router (xb6) and assigned a static IP for the AP (r7500v2).
3. Unplugged the WAN on the AP, reset AP, and plugged ethernet from a LAN port on the AP into my computer. (AP should only be connected to your computer)

Waited1...

Step 4 can also be performed after you update it to an AP

4. Logged into the the router (routerlogin.net) and set the SSID's for 2.4 and 5Ghz. APPLY

(can match your existing broadcast from main if you are willing to set the channels on 2.4)

Waited2...

5a. Went to Advanced=>Advanced Setup=>Router/AP/Bridge Mode=>Access Point (Bubble)

Skip 5b if you already have the primary/secondary DNS, subnet and gateway information...

AP-Nighthawk.PNG

5b. Got information for the above fields using RUN=>CMD=>ipconfig/all on a Windows OS computer connected to the network.

6. Input the IP address that I assigned in Step 2, along with all other fields. APPLY

Waited3...

7. Plugged in the WAN (internet) port on the AP.

I am not sure that this will work for you, as I am using a different setup.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7