Highlighted
Aspirant

Name of device that i defined is changed to just device name by itself.

I picked up a R7900 to replace a Linksys AC-1900. I use a 2 bay Black X for my NAS/Cloud. I have a 2T and 500Gig drive in the Black X, Drive U = 2T_Drive, Video network folder for DLNA, Drive T =  NAS-500.

Today I have I have Drive U = 2T_Drive, Video, Drive T = 2T_Drive, Video. Both drives have the same share name and Drive T gets a non existant network share folder. Drive T (the 500GB) doesn't appear on the network so I have to delete the video folder and rename the share.

Sort of not understanding why the router is adding folders and changing share names.

Of course I reset the router to factory default and rebuilt the config, same thing.

I would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Name of device that i defined is changed to just device name by itself.

Hi @K_Van

Welcome to the community!

Are you saying that it's always T: keeps disappearing?

How many gigs are used in T:?

What's the current firmware installed on the router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

It is drive letter agnostic. It just reverted to 2 drives with the same volume name when assigned U:\ and S:\

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@K_Van One of our support team will reach you for further troubleshooting.

They'll be in contact with you separately.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was contacted by support and was asked to isolate the issue, send screen shots and basically do the testing for them after I explained the specific issue.

I have had this router for 3 months and have given up on it, it is being returned to Costco for a refund.

This is a very poor implementation of a product. It is supposed to be an "Advanced" router but fails to work in an advanced configuration, DLNA is flakey, NAS appears to only support one drive, when multiple drives are connected it names them all the same, configurations change without user input(?). You can't even rescue the hardware by instaling WRT.

Back to the Linksys WRT1900AC and dd-WRT...working flawlessly which is what I expected from Netgear.

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize that we didn't resolve your concern quickly.

Rest assured that your feedback will be forwarded to the management.

Thank you and have a great day!

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you, I was looking for my new replacement and found this review so apparently this is a problem that needs to be addressed in the way Netgear is deploying SAMBA.

"I like to start by saying that I REALLY wanted the TP-Link AC5200 to be my NEW standard (I had prior, a R8000 NETGEAR, which always seemed to be not totally up-to-snuff). One of the first things I noticed about the TP-Link (versus the NetGear) was that its boot-up time was MUCH faster! It also worked flawlessly with the USB3 (something the NetGear gave me continual headaches with my external drive [which was a Drobo] - it worked GREAT with USB2, but USB3 kind of wishy washy). Another thing that had me in HEAVEN with the TP-Link was that it "Woke Up" MUCH faster than the NetGear (10 secs-vs-30/50 secs). The NetGear would not only take a LONG time (to recover, from sleep mode), but many times would just sporadically "disconnect" from the share drive (the Drobo USB), and wait FOREVER for the share to reconnect."

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for that update.

I would strongly suggest that you also submit that through the online submission case.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements