Neato Robot and R7000

Yodigity777
Aspirant

Neato Robot and R7000

My Neato will not connect with my R7000. It will connect with other routers. Neato has suggested to open port forwarding on 80 and 443 which I think I did correctly but I’m lost honestly. This is my last chance before I throw this dude in the trash and switch brands, please help.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 23
antinode
Guru

Re: Neato Robot and R7000

> My Neato

Not a very detailed description of anything.  Are these the devices?:

https://support.neatorobotics.com/hc/en-us/sections/205630047

>  will not connect with my R7000.

Does that mean that it won't make a wireless connection with the
wireless network of the R7000?  Or is it connected to the router, but
something else fails after that?

> Neato has suggested to open port forwarding on 80 and 443 which I
> think I did correctly but I'm lost honestly.

That wouldn't solve a basic wireless connection problem.  Also, with
my weak psychic powers, I have no idea what you did.  And configuring
port forwarding on these ports would, at best, make your "My Neato"
accessible from the entire world, which is probably not what you want.
So, there may be no way to enable port forwarding "correctly" in this
situation.

First thing, I'd delete any port-forwarding rules which you have
configured.  Port forwarding is used to allow incoming connections.
From what I read, your "My Neato" needs to (make an outgoing connection
to) talk to "the Neato servers":

https://support.neatorobotics.com/hc/en-us/articles/225369707

As I read that, the R7000 settings involved would be in the ADVANCED >
Security > Block Services neighborhood, not anything to do with port
forwarding.  And you probably haven't blocked 80 or 443, or else your
normal Web browsing probably wouldn't be working, either.

Is the 2.4GHz radio enabled on your R7000?

Neato Botvac Connected only supports the 2.4GHz wireless networks.
      It does not support the 5GHz wireless networks.  ...

Message 2 of 23
Yodigity777
Aspirant

My Neato vacuum is the D5 Connected.... sorry. It is not showing anything in the log under advanced for denying access. I have restored everything back to normal with the router. I am only broadcasting in 2.4
To clarify it will not make a wireless connection with the R7000. I had an old 2Wire router that it’d connect to with no issues, so it definitely is an issue between these two items.

Please excuse my novice experience in this area, and I’ll excuse your lack of psychic power.
Message 3 of 23
antinode
Guru

> To clarify it will not make a wireless connection with the R7000.

Ok.  So none of that Security or port-forwarding stuff matters.

What kind of "will not make a wireless connection" is that?  Does the
R7000 SSID appear in a list of available wireless networks on the Neato?
Do you have some too-hard-to-enter-correctly passphrase?

> I am only broadcasting in 2.4

And the "Enable SSID Broadcast" box is checked?  Do you have some
other wireless gizmo which can connect to the router?  What is the
"Security Options" choice for the 2.4GHz radio?

Message 4 of 23
Yodigity777
Aspirant

WPA2-PSK = selected security
Password is simple
The SSID does show up in the Neato app, it does not come back as invalid credentials, it just times out due to the inability to connect.
SSID is broadcasting
I have multiple other devices that have no issues connecting to this router, nor have they ever. This is the only device that has ever given me problems.
Message 5 of 23

@Yodigity777 wrote:
I have multiple other devices that have no issues connecting to this router, nor have they ever. This is the only device that has ever given me problems.

This tells me that Neato is the problem. Have you asked them?

Does the Neato device offer WPS (push button) connection?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 23
Yodigity777
Aspirant

It does not have that option. I was on the phone with them for over an hour yesterday and they walked me thru a lot but we’re unsuccessful. They recommended that I contact netgear to resolve the issue, so that’s why I’m here. It connected to my old 2wire router with no problem whatsoever.
Message 7 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi Yodigity777,

Does the Neato Robot supports WPA2-PSK security type?

Do you have other devices that can connect to the router?

What is the firmware version of the router?

Message 8 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi Yodigity777,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 9 of 23

I'm having the same issue with the Neato robot. Wondering if you can help. Sounds like I got the same suggestion from Neato. The issue for me just started 2 weeks ago and was working fine before then. I am also able to connect to a hotspot, just not under the router.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 10 of 23
TomBT
Guide

Ok, me too.  D3 Connected will not connect with my R7000 router. No problems with my previous R6700 v1.  The blue WiFi light flashes slowly until I connect to it and select the correct SSID. I enter the correct password (verified) then the blue light flashes quickly.  After about 5 minutes, the blue light goes back to flashing slowly. No error messages, it just doesn't connect.

The Netgear has the latest firmware. Not sure about the Neato - until it connects, I cannot check the firmware version or update it.

Message 11 of 23
kendaldawn
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with my Neato Botvac Connected. I am a complete novice with just about anything dealing with wi-fi or routers, but after reading this thread, it sounds like the same problem that I am having. Has anybody figured out a solution? 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 23
TomBT
Guide

What version of firmware are you running on your router?  I updated to the .28 version and the Neato was able to connect.  I am having other problems with the router so I haven't updated to the recently released .32 version.

Message 13 of 23
kendaldawn
Aspirant

I just purchased it about two weeks ago and did an update to the .32 as soon as I got it. I wonder if there is a way for me to go back to the older version to see if that fixes the problem? 

Message 14 of 23
antinode
Guru

> [...] I wonder if there is a way for me to go back to the older
> version [...]

If you want to install (test/keep) older firmware, then visit
http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for
Downloads.  Under Firmware and Software Downloads, look for "View
Previous Versions".  Find the kit(s).  Download the kit(s) you want.
Read the "Release Notes" file for instructions.

Message 15 of 23

Tried an old firmware, same issue. There has to be someone with Neato or Netgear that can solve this issue.

Message 16 of 23
SnoShark
Tutor

I've been on the phone with Neato, they're convinced it's the router blocking the Neato connection - problem is, my routers don't appear to have a configurable Firewall.

Message 17 of 23
schumaku
Guru

@SnoShark wrote:

I've been on the phone with Neato, they're convinced it's the router blocking the Neato connection -

What do they think it's blocked? Ports, protocols, ... please.

@SnoShark wrote:

...problem is, my routers...

Multiple routers with NAT in the data path? This might indeed caue issues, but it's not manufacturer or Netgear specific.

@SnoShark wrote:

don't appear to have a configurable Firewall.

Netgear Nighthawk (and Orbi, Orbi Pro, and generic older DSL or cable routers) only have what they call Service Blocking where you can restrict outgoing connection from the (W)LAN to the Internet. If configuring NAT rules (port forwarding) the access Internet -> via port forwarding -> (W)LAN device there are no firewall restrictions possible, any source IP address has access.

Message 18 of 23
SnoShark
Tutor

Thanks for the info.  Neato is still doing research and are supposed to get back to me.  They said that the Neato is functioning properly, it connects to the WiFi, but it is unable to connect to the internet. They told me to change the Firewall settings down from High to Medium. Of course, that is not a function/choice.  

My assumption is that they will come back with port numbers to open. Will report back with what they get back to me with. 

Message 19 of 23
Serachja
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with my D5 and the R7000. The issue lies somehow in obtaining the IP-Address from the router. When I set the router as a switch and use the PC to distribute the IPs everything works fine, even though the wireless hotspot is provided by the R7000...
I hope someone finds a solution to this issue
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 20 of 23
SnoShark
Tutor

Neato never got back to me.  However, in my own experimentation, I was able to get it to connect when I disabled uPnP.  From my research, it seems like uPnP isn't a real necessary component / setting - unless you're operating multiple Xboxes on the same setup. I unchecked mine and then I was able to connect shortly after - might be coincidence but it might be worth a go. 

Capture.PNG

From Wikipedia: Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a set of networking protocols that permits networked devices, such as personal computers, printers, Internet gateways, Wi-Fi access points and mobile devices to seamlessly discover each other's presence on the network and establish functional network services for data sharing, ... 

Message 21 of 23
Serachja
Aspirant

Thank you SnoShark for the tip. I tried it today and it seemed to improve the situation that the D5 was able to connect once to the router but failed afterward again.

I was having other issues with the R7000. Devices connected to the router over WiFi where losing connectivity and I couldn't access stuff over the LAN (octopi.local) so I just got fed up with all these issues and switched to a different router (Asus ac87u) and everything is working now. Maybe I can use the R7000 for something else down the line, who knows

Message 22 of 23
TomBT
Guide

I ended up switching temporarily to Advanced Tomato firmware.  This solved my throughput issues with FIOS as well as the Neato Robot connection problems.  But Advanced Tomato doesn't have the parental control options (which wasn't working on the R7000 anyway).  Last week I got an email from Netgear asking if all my problems were solved.  They were, but not because of Netgear.

Anyway, I really wanted the Circle functionality. That is why I bought this router in the first place.  I noticed that there is a new firmware available. So I went back to the stock firmware and everything seems to be working fine.  The R7000 and the Neato Device were able to communicate without problems after the switch back with the new firmware.

My suggestions:

1. Clear NVRAM - this will erase all your settings. You may have to get a new IP on your client.

2. Update to the newest firmware.  The one that is working for me is V1.0.9.34_10.2.36

3. Let the router boot and sit for 3 minutes.

4. Perform a hard reset.  (Hold the reset button down on the router with a paperclip for 10 seconds.)

5. Let the router boot and sit for 3 minutes.

6. Perform another hard reset. Yes, I know you just did this.

7. Let the router boot and sit for 3 minutes.

8. Perform another hard reset. Yes, I know you just did this twice before. This is the third hard reset in a row without accessing it from the computer.

9. Let the router boot and sit for 3 minutes.

10.  Now go into the router (default 192.168.1.1) and rebuild your settings. You may havae to get a new IP address again.  DO NOT load an old configuration file.  You will have to reset your password, rebuild your WiFi settings, etc.  DO NOT use SmartConnect - use separate 2.4 and 5G SSID/channels.

After all this, mine is working fine. Full FIOS speed. Circle works! All my devices have been able to connect without problems.  I've only had to reboot once in the last week after the first day of reconnecting all the devices. 

Good luck!  YMMV.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements