Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need VPN connection to give my iPhone an ip address on my home subnet (and support broadcast).

Olympus007
Follower

Need VPN connection to give my iPhone an ip address on my home subnet (and support broadcast).

Before, I was using a different Netgear Wifi router and one of the reasons for changing to the R8500 was its VPN support.  The problem with the VPN is that it does not let me access all the devices that are on my home network.  I want for example to use the Daikin Online Controller app to access my Daikin Airco/heating devices.  However, the iPhone app does not find my devices over a VPN connection. It seems to use a broadcast to find the devices.  For this to work, the VPN needs to give my iPhone an IP address on my local network.  Now, my iPhone gets an IP address that is on another subnet.

It is not that the VPN is not working.  I can remotely access devices on my home network using their ip address. But as the VPN ip address is not an ip address in the range of my home subnet it does not support a broadcast to the devices on my home subnet.

So, if my local subnet would be 192.168.6.0  (subnet mask 255.255.255.0)  is it possible to get a VPN ip address on that subnet?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Need VPN connection to give my iPhone an ip address on my home subnet (and support broadcast).

No. For K.I.S.S. the consumer device OpenVPN implementations support basically TUN (routing, with a dedicated VLAN subnet) but not TAP (full L2 bridging).

Before you start singing and hacking the router OpenVPN configuration: iOS does not allow OpenVPN with TAP, FMI -> FAQ regarding OpenVPN Connect iOS 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Need VPN connection to give my iPhone an ip address on my home subnet (and support broadcast).

No. For K.I.S.S. the consumer device OpenVPN implementations support basically TUN (routing, with a dedicated VLAN subnet) but not TAP (full L2 bridging).

Before you start singing and hacking the router OpenVPN configuration: iOS does not allow OpenVPN with TAP, FMI -> FAQ regarding OpenVPN Connect iOS 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7