Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need advice on a router/modem with strong coverage?

charleyrich
Aspirant

Need advice on a router/modem with strong coverage?

I am replacing a Cisco dpc3941t  router/modem and a bunch of pods I rent from Xfinity. 

I have a two floor condo with some stucco walls and some concrete cinder block firewalls within the walls.  Needless to say, the Cisco and pods deliver spotty coverage at best.

I am looking at the C7800 as a replacement as it claims to have extended coverage.  Is this is a good option for my environment?

--Charley 

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
microchip8
Master

Re: Need advice on a router/modem with strong coverage?

I'd advise to get seperate modem and router. More flexible option. Something like an R7800 router and a CM1000 or CM1200 modem. But first check which modems your ISP supports

Message 2 of 7

I'm with @microchip8, se[arate bi8ts arfe more versatile.

When it comes to finding a router, a good place to start is with the product pages. Fill in your needs and circumstances, and see what comes up.

Routers here:

Wifi Router | Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

Fancier stuff with a focus on wifi here:

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

See what takes your fancy, and what fits in with your budget. Then check this place for users views. (But remember this place is where people bring problems, not praise.) And see if you can find a review site that covers what you are thinking of buying.

Message 3 of 7
AndyBMI
Star

I've been researching for a router since my Netgear router was bricked during a firmware update recommend by the Netgear app. I don't think it will be another Netgear, the router I have been researching is the eero pro, looks like it's getting very good reviews. I loved the Netgear router I had but was soured by the Netgear response of too bad sorry our firmware bricked your router, it's not our fault or problem. Check out the eero pro, I think it's the one that I will probably go with, when I do I'll post the results so everyone knows if it's worth it.
Message 4 of 7
microchip8
Master

@AndyBMI wrote:
I've been researching for a router since my Netgear router was bricked during a firmware update recommend by the Netgear app. I don't think it will be another Netgear, the router I have been researching is the eero pro, looks like it's getting very good reviews. I loved the Netgear router I had but was soured by the Netgear response of too bad sorry our firmware bricked your router, it's not our fault or problem. Check out the eero pro, I think it's the one that I will probably go with, when I do I'll post the results so everyone knows if it's worth it.

You first mistake is using apps to update a critical component like a firmware. Never ever do that. Your second mistake is using WiFi to do the update. Again, never ever do that no matter what router brand you have

Message 5 of 7

@microchip8 wrote:

You first mistake is using apps to update a critical component like a firmware. Never ever do that. Your second mistake is using WiFi to do the update. Again, never ever do that no matter what router brand you have

The problem is that Netgear encourages users to use apps for this crucial move, and apps mean wifi. As we all know, wifi can fall over more easily than wired connections.

But if you think about it, the app merely initiates the update. After that it is left to the router to connect to the update server and to complete the process. No wifi involved.

The weak link is the Internet connection, regardless of how the user controls the process. If that falls over mid update, you are stuffed.

The only way to get round that one is to retrieve the firmware file from the support site and to carry out a manual update with a local connection.

That is also true regardless of the router brand.

Fortunately, with Netgear at least there is a history of recovering bricked routers using TFTP.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

The never ending dream of everything wireless. And then it must perform like a champ, or at least as good as the tech publications claim WiFi 6 to be. The logical limits are set by the WiFI technlogy, the reality is limited by the building physics.

Coverage? Here you go: Best investment ever will be wiring the building with network cables, CAT6A or CAT7 at least. A modem (agree with everybody above), a router (no WiFi as it's probably residing near to a non-optimal location anyway), a PoE+ switch, and some Wireless Access Points depending on the wireless coverage you need in the various areas of your house.

Start here -> https://www.netgear.com/business/wifi/access-points and filter for Mesh: Yes

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7