Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Need help to determine what to buy

msbutton
Aspirant

Need help to determine what to buy

Sorry this is kind of broad but I am looking for some help in designing what my purchase(s) should be.

I have a 3 story home, my ISP router is a Bell (Canada) Home Hub 3000 with 1.5 gig download and 1 gig upload. Each floor is approximately 1100-1200 square feet. My ISP router is on the middle floor towards the front in the main office.

I have setup two different wifi networks, 1x2.4 and 1x5ghz on this Bell router, service is currently horrible.

I purchased the TP-Link Deco X60's a few months ago and found that did not work out so I returned it, but I had it directly connected to the Bell router with Bell Wifi enabled as well as the TP-link, therefore not sure if this caused problems.

WIFI signal upstairs is horrible, I can not even walk 20 feet from the office and now it is cutting out. My house is not brick but does have walls seperating the office

I am at a point I am trying to figure out the best option for my house.

I was going to buy:

Wifi 6 Tri-band router & then a 2 or 3 Mesh devices for upstairs/downstairs.

NETGEAR Nighthawk Tri-Band Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System (MK83) – AX3600
and /or
NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream Tri-Band AX8 WiFi 6 Router (RAX70) – AX6600

Turn off the Bell WIFI

Put a satellite on each floor (not sure what to do with the Netgear router or if i need it)

Use one of the bands to connect to the mesh network

Is this stupid, is there something else I should do. just at the point now the family has me drove with no WIFI 🙂

Do i need to buy a router if using the Mesh network?

Any suggestion on how or what I should buy?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Need help to determine what to buy

For that kind of ISP service, to take full advantage of that, you'd want something that has a 2.5Gb speed rated WAN port and AX wifi. Unfortuneately there isn't alot of router with 2.5Gb rated LAN ports as of yet. Orbi RBK8 series and RAX200 and RAXE500 has 2.5Gb Rated WAN ports. 

Message 2 of 5
msbutton
Aspirant

Yeah I understand I can't get the full 1.5 gig. I just want something that is not going to die on reception when I walk to Bedroom 2, or out through the back door.

My ISP is well over what I need, i get that even as my own PC ethernet is maxed at 1gig.  So for pretend lets say my ISP is 1gig.

Should i buy a netgear router and than mesh network, or do I just need to buy the latter? I was thinking the router then the mesh, using the three pods as satalites, potentially 2 upstairs and 1 in basement. Or do you know if you have to use 1 as a router, therefore negating the need for buying a seperate router as well.

Message 3 of 5
msbutton
Aspirant

Here is my house Layout, all the TV's are smart TV's. 1 PC is wifi, other is Ethnet. Here is the typical things in the house

3 x ipads

3 x iphones

1 x samsung

2 x alexa

security system on its own router

1 x wifi printer

4 x smart tvs

1 x roku recevier

1 x firestick

2 x xboxs

1 x PC on wifi

In the current configuration, my son right about the office and my daugther in the bedroom 2 can barely get a signal. If i walk out the back porch I do not receive a signal, even right outside. Master Bathroom has no signalScreenshot 2021-09-14 195608.jpgScreenshot 2021-09-14 195618.jpgScreenshot 2021-09-14 195628.jpg

Message 4 of 5

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

WiFi Range Extenders: Boost Your WiFi Range | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7