• 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Need some help please with R7000 and speed issues

Hello all,

I have a Netgear R7000 router, my main issue is I am having HORRIBLE speed problems... I have an android box I use to stream netflix, wireless on 5GHz I was getting between 2-4Mbps.... Yes 2-4MBps...... SLOW while my phone connected at 5GHz I was getting around 60MBps... Ok so I went out and bought a usb 3.0 to ehternet adapter and hooked it up and now im getting a little better speeds but still only getting around 20-27MBps and then it drops out to around 12MBps... I am hardwired directly into the R7000 and I even tried to hard wire into the wifi modem my ISP game me with the same speeds.. Now my buddy has the same ISP and he is wireless and gets around 90MBps on his box... My question should I talk to my ISP about it orwould upgrading my Cat5 to Cat6 help at all?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Re: Need some help please with R7000 and speed issues

I'd try the cable, as it could even be defective.

One question though, how are you measuring the speed? ISP speed, connected speed and actual speed are 3 different things.

Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I would assume ISP speed... On my Android box I use analiti to test it... Does that help or no?

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Master

@dkishton1486wrote:

I would assume ISP speed... On my Android box I use analiti to test it... Does that help or no?

Uhh, that is Wifi, correct? Android box is a wifi device? Phone, tablet? You switched to wired using a USB adapter, right, and it improved but was eratic, right?

You said "I am hardwired directly into the R7000 and I even tried to hard wire into the wifi modem my ISP game me with the same speeds.." sort of rules out the R7000 as the cause. I do assume your ISP bridge the Wifi Modem for you. So that would indicate a poor or faulty cable between the device and modem or router. Either that or the modem is defective.

Do you have a PC that is hard wired that you could test the speed with? If that is the OK then there are other things to investigate. Alternatively take you Android box to your friends house and see what it gets there.

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes Analiti tests both wifi and wired speeds on my Android Box.  I will check when I get home what speeds I get on my laptop with the same wire and same outlet. Thank you for helping.. I also have a bunch of Cat6 I can install if need be.. My ISP speeds I pay for are 400MBps upload and 20MBps download and 2TB of data a month.

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just realized that I can not upgrade my cat5 to cat6 until I get a new jack and new ends Smiley Sad darnit lol

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Are you sure? I've got a mix of cables here, CAT 5, 5e, and 6. They look the same to me?

However maybe the CAT6 cable you have is not for RJ45 sockets? Can't tell for sure HERE but it could be for a Keystone Jack?

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Cat6 is thicker with a heavier gauge wire.. If I connect a cat6 wire to a cat5 jack I will only get cat5 speeds. I use keystone jacks for all ethernet in my house

Message 8 of 8