Need suggestions

MelPetz
Follower

Need suggestions

Please help.  I have no idea what I am doing.  I'm not Tech Savvy.  I need a router that will be large enough for 2800 sq ft home, three levels, many devices (phones, pods, kindles, Alexas) computers/laptop, Smart TV, firestick and an XBox One.  Our router is crap and I need a new one.  I don't know what to get for my needs. A nighthawk was suggested but I have no idea which one or if I'll need any extenders for each floor.  Please suggest...

Message 1 of 4
microchip8
Master

Re: Need suggestions

I recommend the R7800 based on personal experience with the R7000, R7800 and R8000. The R7800 has the best wifi range and, except for a few issues with the latest firmware, is very stable and performant

That said, since you have a large home, it may not be able to cover it completely due to physics limitations. You may need to place Access Points in places the router may not be able to cover. This means pulling cables for the APs. You can also go for an Orbi system but they seem to be a bit pricey

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.86SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 2 of 4

Go to the product pages and feed in your requirements:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

If the R7800 comes up, it is a good router, but Orbi devices may be easier to install and set up for someone who doesn't want to mess around with what could be a steep learning curve.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 4
myersw
Master

Agree, with multiple floors and size Orbie may be a good choice.. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements