Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Net gear 1800 router

Pikipoo
Aspirant

Net gear 1800 router

I have a new net gear 1800 router and I am trying to connect for the first time. I can connect but cannot get an internet connection. Help
Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Net gear 1800 router

@Pikipoo wrote:
I have a new net gear 1800 router and I am trying to connect for the first time. I can connect but cannot get an internet connection. Help

Which one? "1800" isn't a model number.

What modem, or whatever, sits in front of this new router to give you Internet access?

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

There may also be some helpful videos on what to do.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 5
Pikipoo
Aspirant

HI.

I purchased this router yesterday.  I ensured I did all the correct things and used the app to install and had all the correct cables etc in the right place. I tried about 10 times to install.  I also tried using the web browser.  I googled all the various issues etc but still could connect to wifi but not get an internet connection.  Eventually the internet light just stayed orange and I could not get any further.  In the end I spent 1 hour on Netgear chat with a tech who advised me via screen shots and lots of chat to change some of the settings inside the router. We eventually got there. I started this at 4pm yesterday and finally got it running at 10pm last night. We changed two settings within the router that we had to login to as admin. One had something to do with user@spark.co.nz and the other was to do with VLAN Bridging. At that point it was past what I could understand. If you purchase this router in NZ and cannot get an internet connection dont spend hours trying to install. Do the live chat thing with the Netgear tech. He/she was really helpful and we did get there in the end.  Julie

Message 3 of 5
Pikipoo
Aspirant

Also just for clarity - i was connecting the router to a chorus 300 modem which was installed when fibre was installed a couple of months ago.  The modem is fine and does work with another router so it was never a modem issue.  It was def the new router. 

Message 4 of 5

@Pikipoo wrote:

Also just for clarity - i was connecting the router to a chorus 300 modem which was installed when fibre was installed a couple of months ago.  The modem is fine and does work with another router so it was never a modem issue. 

If you say so, but you never did tell us what router you are using. Nor did you say anything about this "chorus 300 modem". (Google suggests that it is some sort of ONT/router combination, which might explain your grief.)

ONT Model Type 300 | Chorus

Look at all those LAN ports! No wonder a new router caused problems.

Without information like that, it is impossible to know why it took so long or what you needed to change to get the router to work.

As with all these things, when asking for help it is important to provide as much detail as possible , especially when you have been asked for that information.

@Pikipoo wrote:

It was def the new router. 

I am not convinced.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7