Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NetGear Nighthawk R7000 VPN Service grayed out

bw2124
Aspirant

NetGear Nighthawk R7000 VPN Service grayed out

Hi Guys, 

Networking noobie here. I am trying to enable my VPN service for my laptop and my phones but I see here that the service is grayed out..

Would you guys know what I can do to enable my VPN service? This service definitely comes enabled with the model I have bought - Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router. 

Thanks a lot.

Capture.PNG

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

If it's in AP mode, try setting it back to router mode, disable DHCP and any WAN stuff (if required)  plug into a LAN port instead of the WAN and re-try. It will still be in router mode but acting as an AP...Make sure you give it an IP address so that it can be managed..

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
wongr69
Aspirant

I have the same problem, but in an older thread it shows that when the router is in AP mode, the VPN is not available.   I dont have a solution, I am also searching for this "paint by numbers set up" for the same router...Im having trouble getting on the DD-WRT set up that everyone points to ....but how does it work..I must be missing something... 

Message 2 of 5
netwrks
Master

If it's in AP mode, try setting it back to router mode, disable DHCP and any WAN stuff (if required)  plug into a LAN port instead of the WAN and re-try. It will still be in router mode but acting as an AP...Make sure you give it an IP address so that it can be managed..

Message 3 of 5
wongr69
Aspirant

Thanks ...can you point to a thread that does a step by step for DD-WRT flashing on the R7000?  I want to load the PIA VPN on the router and I find it so confusing being a newbie.

Message 4 of 5
bw2124
Aspirant

Thanks! I've set to Router mode and the VPN Service was enabled afterwards!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7