Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear 7100LG with OpenVPN to access an alarm system

cgrizz
Tutor

Netgear 7100LG with OpenVPN to access an alarm system

Hi,

II would like to know if once configured the Nighthawk modem-router with openvpn all units of the local network must use VPN access ?

I want to use the VPN just to access an alarm system when I'm outside. It is not a problem that all the units of the network goes through the VPN if there is no drop in the flow but reading some forums.. I'm note sure of that... The router is equipped with SIM Free mobile.

Model: R7100LG|Nighthawk 4G LTE Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear 7100LG with OpenVPN to access an alarm system

You enable the OpenVPN "server" on the router - this allows a computer, a mobile device, ... to establish an OpenVPN based VPN to the LAN from where this device can access e.g. the alarm system.

Pre-requirement is that our ISP resp. mobile ISP does assign a public routaable IPv4 address to the routers Internet connection, and doesn't do any carrier grade NAT. Check with your ISP/mobile provider in case for options to get a public address for VPN purposes and remote access.

No device on the LAN needs any specific OpenVPN set-up or configuration.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

You enable the OpenVPN "server" on the router - this allows a computer, a mobile device, ... to establish an OpenVPN based VPN to the LAN from where this device can access e.g. the alarm system.

Pre-requirement is that our ISP resp. mobile ISP does assign a public routaable IPv4 address to the routers Internet connection, and doesn't do any carrier grade NAT. Check with your ISP/mobile provider in case for options to get a public address for VPN purposes and remote access.

No device on the LAN needs any specific OpenVPN set-up or configuration.

Message 2 of 3
cgrizz
Tutor

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7