× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear AC1750 new setup, shows connected, no internet

DianeLynne
Tutor

Netgear AC1750 new setup, shows connected, no internet

New set up.  Connected to Spectrum modem.  Netgear Genie, Macbook Pro, iPad, Iphone, Roku, all show connected, but will not connect to internet.  I have unplugged modem, and rebooted.  Have unplugged modem and Netgear, waited 10 minutes, plugged modem back, waited for stable lights, then plugged Netgear back in.  Same result.  Shows connected with excellent strength, but no connection.  Just bought this, if I can't fix, need to return!  Help!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
DianeLynne
Tutor

Re: Netgear AC1750 new setup, shows connected, no internet

So here is what I did, and now it’s all working.  Unplugged everything.
Plugged modem back in and waited 2-3 minutes, all lights stable.  Plugged Nighthawk
in, plugged yellow cable to WAN, to connect with modem.   Waited 2-3 minutes
for lights to stabilize.
Only thing I did differently on my 10th attempt to connect, was to NOT plug Roku box in. 

I went to Netgear genie to verify it was connected.  Then I connected each device.  IPhones, iPad, MacBook. 
After all were connected and verified connected to internet, I plugged Roku in, went to settings, connected Nighthawk.  Everything is now working.  I don’t know if hooking Roku too soon caused this problem, but it was the only thing I did differently.  Thanks for all the help!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16

All Replies

@DianeLynne wrote:

New set up.  Connected to Spectrum modem. 

What is that modem? Make and model number?

Message 2 of 16
DianeLynne
Tutor

Spectrum cable

Technicolor model DPC3216

below that is DOCSIS 3.0 16x4

Message 3 of 16

@DianeLynne wrote:

Spectrum cable

Technicolor model DPC3216

below that is DOCSIS 3.0 16x4

Standard modem. Not, as far as I can tell, any "routerting".

The first message is not clear on what you did.

then plugged Netgear back in

is not right.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Maybe you did that. It isn't clear.

Message 4 of 16

@DianeLynne 

Have you confirmed you have internet when connected directly to the Spectrum Modem?

Pease describe how your Nighthawk is connected to the modem, and the set up steps you performed?

The Nighthawk should detect the internet connection automatically (when first run).  You may need to perform the set up process again if this wasn't completed or successful.  Your devices can be connected or associated to the router, but if internet connectivity is not present, the nighthawk will not provide internet to your connected devices.

Message 5 of 16
DianeLynne
Tutor

I tried it again and did exactly what you instructed me to do.  The Nighthawk Netgear 60 appears to be connected with excellent stregnth in my Netgear genie, Roku, iPad, iPhone, Mackbook Pro.  But when you try to get on the internet, no connection.  
I am trying to replace my old Netgear (N600 WNDR3400).  Each time I can't get connection with new Nighthawk, I can plug the N600 up and it comes right back on like a champ.  It is just too slow anymore for streaming on Roku.  
Message 6 of 16
DianeLynne
Tutor

How do I know I have a connection with Spectrum?

I followed the directions from previous post exactly.  Everything off and unplugged.  Connnected the modem, waited 3 minutes.  All the lights were stable and ready.  Connected the Nighthawk.  Turned it on.  Waited 3 minutes.  Logged on to Netgear genie.  Recognized the Nighthawk, good connection.  Macbook, Roku, iPad, Iphone all show Netgear60 connected.  The Spectrum modem is connected to Nighthawk with yellow cable.   All devices seem to  associate to the Nighthawk, but there is no internet connection.  Each device recognizes it and says it's connected. But it's not. 

Message 7 of 16

It isn't easy to follow what is going on there.

Netgear60 and Netgear60-5G are almpost certainly the wifi broadcasts from your router.

You connect other wifi devices to one of those.

Please answer the questions from @shadowsports about your connection to the modem.

What does the Internet LED on the router look like.

Do you have anything that you can connect to the wired LAN ports on the router? The MacBook Pro?

Message 8 of 16
IrvSp
Master

Your problem is NOT the wireless connection to the LAN but the Router connection to the Modem.

" Each time I can't get connection with new Nighthawk, I can plug the N600 up and it comes right back on like a champ."

Not at all clear that you have an Internet connection though? Is that the case?

"All the lights were stable and ready. "

Great, that is for the modem, but what about the Router? What color are the LED's? Especially the Internet one?

That yellow cable should go into the WAN Yellow port on the router. Is it?

Here is the Installation Guide, http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6400/R6400_QSG_11May2015.pdf, did you connect everything like that?

Need more info, the User Guide is here, http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6400/R6400_UM_07Aug2015.pdf, and page 10 and 11 details the states the LED's can be in.

With any of the LAN connected devices, you can open a Browser and in the URL enter routerlogin.net and then you'll be asked for the login credentials, enter admin and password for those. On the FIRST screen once in is a box for Internet Port, what does that show?

Message 9 of 16
DianeLynne
Tutor

I connect a Roku box to the router LAN port (Nighthawk).  

The lights looks like this when all is connected.  (see file)

I do connect all the devices to Netgear 60.  Each device I did indiviually.  ALL show connected to Netgear 60.  NONE will actually connect to the internet.  Each device when trying Safari, Netflix, etc.  NO CONNECTION.

Message 10 of 16
DianeLynne
Tutor

I do have an internet connection with old Netgear N600. I set this one up myself.  3rd Netgear device I have set up.  The old 2 set up with no problem.  

I use the yellow WAN ports.

I do not have any way to open LAN connected devices, only Roku.  I don't have the attachement to Macbook Pro to physically connect the Macbook via LAN to Nighthawk.

When I have Nighthawk connected, I can't go to routerlogin.net because I have no internet connection on any device.  No devices.  All are showing they are connected but in browser typing in ANYTHING, "Safari not connected to the internet". 

I am just missing something here.  The connection is correct from all the help I have received.  All the devices, I can go to wifi, select Netgear60, connect.  get 5 bars, good signal.  Went to Netgear Genie.  Shows both Netgear60, select connect.  Shows connected.  Then go to Safari, no connection.  On Roku, go to settings, select wifi, Netgear60, enter the wifi password, shows connected, 5 bars, good signal.  Try to start Netflix, no connection to the internet. 

Message 11 of 16
DianeLynne
Tutor

So here is what I did, and now it’s all working.  Unplugged everything.
Plugged modem back in and waited 2-3 minutes, all lights stable.  Plugged Nighthawk
in, plugged yellow cable to WAN, to connect with modem.   Waited 2-3 minutes
for lights to stabilize.
Only thing I did differently on my 10th attempt to connect, was to NOT plug Roku box in. 

I went to Netgear genie to verify it was connected.  Then I connected each device.  IPhones, iPad, MacBook. 
After all were connected and verified connected to internet, I plugged Roku in, went to settings, connected Nighthawk.  Everything is now working.  I don’t know if hooking Roku too soon caused this problem, but it was the only thing I did differently.  Thanks for all the help!

Message 12 of 16
IrvSp
Master

@DianeLynne wrote:

I do not have any way to open LAN connected devices, only Roku.  I don't have the attachement to Macbook Pro to physically connect the Macbook via LAN to Nighthawk.

When I have Nighthawk connected, I can't go to routerlogin.net because I have no internet connection on any device.  No devices.  All are showing they are connected but in browser typing in ANYTHING, "Safari not connected to the internet". 

I am just missing something here. 

Right, if you try to use the Internet. routerlogin.net goes only to the router. Any device on the LAN with a browser can do that. Anything located on the web without Internet access will of course fail.

Try it and see... just pull the cable to the modem, it will work.

Only thing I can think of with Roku plugged in before connecting to the router could be Roku getting the IP Address that hinders the router? Still, if that were the case it should also fail once the router was up and running? Hard to tell?

Message 13 of 16
IrvSp
Master

This may not apply, but I did a Google search on Roku killing the Internet... found a few, none recent.

Here is one for instance: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=97202. Others just mention it takes down the LAN by using all the bandwidth... but a few do mention Internet.

Personally I don't see how just plugging it in causes a problem if it isn't in use?

Message 14 of 16

@DianeLynne wrote:

I don’t know if hooking Roku too soon caused this problem, but it was the only thing I did differently. 

That was sort of covered earlier on when I said turn on the rest of the network two minutes after the router had completed its stuff.

• Turn on computers and rest of network.

But that sounds like it wasn't enough. From your account, simply having the Roku plugged in seems to have been the issue.

So, once again the solution has not much to do with the Netgear router.

Maybe it should be:

• Plug in and turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 15 of 16
letsgetcandy
Aspirant

oh my gosh THANK YOU @DianeLynne I had the exact same issue and after 2 days on the phone with tech support, and even buying a new modem, still could not figure out the problem. Found your thread and unplugged and plugged the Roku in last, and SUCCESS.

thank you for figuring this out!!!!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7