Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear AC1900 R7000 Multiple Xbox Ones Open NAT Type

zanm
Tutor

Netgear AC1900 R7000 Multiple Xbox Ones Open NAT Type

Hi all,

What is the best solution for multiple Xbox Ones on the same network. I have two Xbox Ones.

My issue - getting an open NAT Type on both Xbox Ones. Both systems have an open NAT, but not for multiplayer games. More specificly, black ops 3. I have UPnP enabled, but my black ops 3 nat type is set to moderate. When looking at the UPnP list, I see a port for Xbox Live Serice in the list as 3074, but black ops 3 requires port 3075 UDP. At one time, UDP 3075 was listed for one of my Xbox Ones and now that is no longer the case. So, what I have to do is setup port forwarding and add only one of my Xbox Ones IP address as a custom service with port UDP 3075 and it works. That's great and all, but my IP for my Xbox Ones (both) will change from time to time. I thought UPnP would take care of this for me.

How should I handle this so that both Xbox Ones use port UDP 3075 and I don't have to worry about the IP changing? Or, does there need to be a firmware update from Negear for my router since Black Ops is no longer using the Xbox Live port of 3074?

I am on the latest firmware update as of today (Nov 9 2015) of V1.0.4.30_1.1.67. Again, I thought having UPnP enabled would solve my issues with runing two Xbox Ones on the same network.

Your thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you for your time and help in advance!

p.s. I want to recap...I am getting an Open NAT for both Xbox Ones (if I go to the Xbox One settings/network settings tab), but I will get one Xbox One with an Open NAT and the other with a Moderate NAT when playing multiplayer on black ops 3. Treyarch has said that they no longer use the same port as Xbox Live, now they use port 3075.

Hope this makes sense...please let me know if you need more info or have questions.

m

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

You can keep the IP addresses from changing by using Address Reservations. Log into the R7000. Go to ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup. At the bottom will be the Address Reservation section. Add two entries for your Xboxes.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You can keep the IP addresses from changing by using Address Reservations. Log into the R7000. Go to ADVANCED > Setup > LAN Setup. At the bottom will be the Address Reservation section. Add two entries for your Xboxes.

Message 2 of 12
zanm
Tutor

TheEther,

Awesome!!  I firgured there had to be a way to keep the IPs for both systems the same and never change.  Thank you...now will this also fix my issue with both systems using port 3075 for black ops 3?  I can only port forward one IP to use port 3075 UDP.

Again, thank you for the quick response...huge help!

m

Message 3 of 12
TheEther
Guru

Trying to share an external port with multiple devices is a tricky proposition. As you discovered, port forwarding will only forward to a single IP address.

You can try port triggering, which will dynamically forward traffic to the IP address that triggered the port to be opened. But this still won't allow two IP address to simultaneously share an external port.

Treyarch should have designed their protocol to not rely on a specific external port. Then uPnP could do something like this:

1. Forward external port 3075 to xbox 1, port 3075
  2. Forward external port 3076 to xbox 2, port 3075

But this scheme wouldn't work for peer-to-peer gaming. It would only work if games were hosted on a central server, which could advertise the port mappings to all participants. I don't really know how Black Ops 3 uses port 3075, so I can't really say for certain what will work. I can only provide the caveats of the basic NAT tools like port forwarding/triggering and DMZ.

Message 4 of 12
zanm
Tutor

TheEther,

Thank you for your time and help and all the information provided.  Yes, I agree...was hoping there was somehting I was missing to get two XB1's to share the same port.  Only if COD games would go with dedicated servers (like TitanFall and BF did).  I hope this happens one day. 🙂

Thanks again!

zanm

Message 5 of 12
geoffnappi
Aspirant

Did this work?  ANd how do you assign addresses for each box...what numbers do you use?

Message 6 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Geoffnappi,

If you mean to say how to assign IP address on each Xbox, you may assign static IP on the Xbox settings itself or LAN IP reservation under LAN setup of the router's UI. The IP address should be within the range of the routers IP. For example: If your router's IP is 192.168.1.1 then you can assign static IP on Xbox starting 192.168.1.2 to 254. 

Message 7 of 12
JB426
Tutor

I have the X8 R8500 and have the same issue. I get open NATs on both Xbox Ones but only one open and one moderate NAT in Black Ops 3. I am only using UPnP. This is the only way that can work to get open NATs with two Xbox Ones at the same time since they have to use the same port. But for some reason it will not work for both using Black Ops 3. If anyone comes up with a solution, or if you are listening Netgear, would you please update your firmware to utilize UPnP to work with Black Ops 3. You would probably sell a lot of routers just based on this alone. It's a big issue with multiple Xbox Ones, and more and more people have multiple Xbox Ones these days.

Message 8 of 12
TheEther
Guru

It may or may not help but go to WAN Setup on the R8500 and set NAT to Open.

Message 9 of 12
JB426
Tutor

OK thanks I will try that. You're talking about NAT Filtering right? I've seen this. And this will not present any security concerns?

Message 10 of 12
TheEther
Guru

I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that Open NAT filtering will allow incoming traffic to an open port to come from any IP address.  Strict NAT filtering only allows a single IP address.  This article has a pretty good explanation, but keep in mind that there is no standard definition of what "Open NAT" means.  Netgear may have a different definition.

As far as security, yes, setting NAT to open could potentially increase your exposure.  But the nature of peer-to-peer gaming requires it.

Message 11 of 12
JB426
Tutor

I can confirm that setting NAT Filtering to open works to give an open NAT on Black Ops 3 with two Xbox Ones for both. Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7