Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Advanced settings

sutedy
Guide

Netgear Advanced settings

I want to turn on AP Isolation for better security, how to set it?

Is there anyway to change router username 'admin' to something else

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Netgear Advanced settings

@sutedy wrote:

Do i have to turn on guest network? I afraid it will slow down and load router unnecessary since no one will use guest network.

If you want isolation with the stock firmware, then you need to use the guest network instead of the normal network. 

There wouldn't be any noticeable slowdown, just a bit of extra broadcast traffic.  If you want everything isolated, then you can hide the SSID on the main network (I don't think you can turn the main network off but keep guest running).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@sutedy wrote:

I want to turn on AP Isolation for better security, how to set it?

What router model are you using? 

@sutedy wrote:

Is there anyway to change router username 'admin' to something else

No, the best you can do is use a strong admin password.

Message 2 of 6
sutedy
Guide

I am using netgear X8 R8500

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

If you meant  "prevent wireless clients from reaching the home network" by "AP Isolation" then the way to do that is to only turn the guest network, and make sure the box next to "allow guests to see each other and access my local network" is unchecked.

Message 4 of 6
sutedy
Guide

Do i have to turn on guest network? I afraid it will slow down and load router unnecessary since no one will use guest network.

How to enable AP isolation in other way

http://www.howtogeek.com/179089/lock-down-your-wi-fi-network-with-your-routers-wireless-isolation-op...

https://www.rickygao.com.au/blog/shibby-tomato-configuration-details/

AP IsolationThis isolates all wireless clients and wireless devices on your network from each other. Wireless devices will be able to communicate with the Gateway but not with each other in the network.
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@sutedy wrote:

If you want isolation with the stock firmware, then you need to use the guest network instead of the normal network. 

There wouldn't be any noticeable slowdown, just a bit of extra broadcast traffic.  If you want everything isolated, then you can hide the SSID on the main network (I don't think you can turn the main network off but keep guest running).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7