Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Armor Pre-sales questions

Steel-Ghost
Follower

Netgear Armor Pre-sales questions

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find out more information about the Netgear Armor subscription.  However, no real information is available on their website.  I've tried the chat room twice and keep getting told to dial bitdefender's tech spt team.

Here are my questions in a nutshell:

1.  Does this package come with Anti-Virus software for mobile devices?

2.  If the answer to question 1 is yes, Does each device have an app that can be used to perform on-demand scans as well as to see what's going on?

3.  Same questions concerning malware.

4.  Does this subscrption, include vpn utility / connection for each mobile device? or only one for the router?

5.  Is it worth whatever the cost is?

6.  What is the annual subscription rate?

7.  Lastly, if you ever wanted to uninstall bit defender ot the service off of your mobile devices, How difficult is it?

Thanks in advance

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
rinthos
Luminary

Re: Netgear Armor Pre-sales questions

I don't work for Netgear, but I'll try to field your questions...

1) There is no typical "antivirus" for mobile devices, but yes the subscription includes support for the Android and iOS mobile apps. For Android it is the "Netgear Armor Security" App, includes the ability to scan other apps for malware both automatically and on-demand.  For iOS not so much, but that's usually limited by iOS, there are no real "antivirus" apps or "malware" scanners for iOS.  Other features for Android include a web browser overlay for Chrome.  I believe both OS's now have a VPN option as well, where you only get 250MB per day of VPN protected traffic through Bit Defender VPN servers, but you can pay for unlimited if preferred.

2) For Android Yes. For iOS No, but again I'm not aware of any app for iOS that can do this. Paid or free.  Unless you jailbreak a device the capability is EXTREMELY limited.

3) I'm using Malware and Virus interchangibly only because you referred to mobile devices.  A kernel "virus" would require a rooted or jailbroken device, at which point all bets are off,even with a protection app or not.

4) There is no "VPN" from the router.  Pretty much the Subscription includes the equivilent of a "Web Proxy" / "Filter" on the Router for anything connecting to it where it blocks anything that the BitDefender Cloud has blacklisted. You can whitelist URLs that you want to override if needed.  Additionally on the Router it includes Weekly scans that run from your router that attempt to identify vulnerabilities on all your devices on the local LAN.  The subscription also includes a version of the Bit Defender Total Security application for all your Windows and Mac computers which includes full antivirus, browser plug-ins to block cookies/trackers, etc.  Also includes a free Bit Defender VPN Client, that allows you up to 250MB per day of VPN traffic.  There is an additional cost if you want to make that "unlimited" per day,  Finally, the subscription gives you access to a fairly basic Website so you can look at the history of events on your devices, what's been blocked, and any identified vulnerabiliites. Not super-powerful, but it provides some visibility to your devices, and can generate push notifications to the netgear Nighthawk mobile app to alert you when one of the devices on your network was blocked and what URL(s) were blocked.

5) Cannot answer this question.  If you normally would purchase Bit Defender Total Security for multiple computers on your network (Windows, Mac), and you have more than a few computers, there is value there. Just note the VPN 250MB limit for this deal (again you can pay to uplift it to unlimited).  The other thing, if you have a location/household where people click bad links/URLs all the time and have frequent issues with identity theft or malware due to clicking malicious URLs, then for those situations I would say it provides value.  However if you are happy with your current AV solution for PCs, and run a fairly secure environment w/ ad blockers and other things to prevent malicious URLs, you might find the Armor subscription as more of a nuisance.  Personally, it's still evolving as a service, but Netgear / BitDefender do seem to keep continuing to improve it.  Still has far to go, but for the URL filtering from the router, it's actually a decent approach.

6) I've seen it range from $30 to $70, maybe coupons/specials or renewal promotions result in the lower end of the pricing...

7) Not sure what you meant by this...do you already have the bit defender App and want to remove it from your mobile devices? If so, just remove it....However if you gave Bit Defender "Device Management" rights, you'll need to remove a configuration profile from your device as well.  Bit Defender does have details on their website.  For a Windows computer or a Mac, like most AV software they have uninstallers, but usually there are remnants...I would say it's on par with Symantec, McAfee, or Trend Micro in terms of what you need to uninstall/clean-up.

Hope this helps.

@Steel-Ghost wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find out more information about the Netgear Armor subscription.  However, no real information is available on their website.  I've tried the chat room twice and keep getting told to dial bitdefender's tech spt team.

Here are my questions in a nutshell:

1.  Does this package come with Anti-Virus software for mobile devices?

2.  If the answer to question 1 is yes, Does each device have an app that can be used to perform on-demand scans as well as to see what's going on?

3.  Same questions concerning malware.

4.  Does this subscrption, include vpn utility / connection for each mobile device? or only one for the router?

5.  Is it worth whatever the cost is?

6.  What is the annual subscription rate?

7.  Lastly, if you ever wanted to uninstall bit defender ot the service off of your mobile devices, How difficult is it?

Thanks in advance

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7