Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear C7000v2 Cable Wifi Router Rebooting Itself SOLVED

TechieMafaka
Guide

Netgear C7000v2 Cable Wifi Router Rebooting Itself SOLVED

I purchased the Netgear C7000v2 Cable Wifi Router in early 2019 and the unit would reboot itself randomly for months. I tried everything you could possibly think of from changing every setting to connections to the wall plugs to the firmware which you can't update or rollback because the ISP is the only one who can push firmware updates to these modems. I finally contacted Netgear and saving a lot of time I told them I'm highly technical and was able to cut through the red tape. Under warranty, they agreed to swap out the router. This took about a week. A new router arrives and I shipped the old one back to them. Setup the new router and I'll be damned if, within a short period of time, the same thing was happening again. This thing is rebooting itself and does so for a week. I've always felt these devices ran a little hot and thought to myself I wonder if I add a fan would this fix the issue. I ordered a fan on amazon, and it's one that plugs into your wall outlet, mounted it on side of the wifi router unit with cable ties and I haven't had one issue for the past week. The router is cool to the touch, hasn't rebooted itself once, bandwidth speeds are perfect AND as crazy at this sounds the interface loads extremely fast on browsers and the genie phone app connects immediately when launched. I've never seen the router pages load so quickly nor the app be so responsive. 

Have I discovered the problem? You tell me! 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
95jn
Initiate

Re: Netgear C7000v2 Cable Wifi Router Rebooting Itself SOLVED

I have had the same problem with 2 of the Netgear units.  I am going to try your idea and keep my fingers crossed.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13

All Replies
95jn
Initiate

I have had the same problem with 2 of the Netgear units.  I am going to try your idea and keep my fingers crossed.  

Message 2 of 13
TechieMafaka
Guide

Yeah it's helped a lot. I still think this router is a piece of junk and I think Netgear knows it. BTW this is my third replacement. I really feel like all routers need some sort of cooling fan. 

Message 3 of 13
myersw
Master

There have been reports on this site of folks opening the router and finding that the heat sink grease was dried out and not working any more. New grease and was a new router, except for the buggy firmware. There is heat sink grease and then there is heat sink grease. Those of us who build PC's see the difference. Cheap drys out quick. 

Message 4 of 13
TechieMafaka
Guide

You're talking about thermal paste, right? I wouldn't doubt they use cheap everything. The fan solution works very well. The router stays cool all the time. I wish there were more options for cable router combos on the market. There are very few and they all suck. 

Message 5 of 13
myersw
Master

Yes talking about thermal paste. Found in PC builds there was a definitely a difference between manufacturers and price. 

Message 6 of 13
myersw
Master

@TechieMafaka wrote:

You're talking about thermal paste, right? I wouldn't doubt they use cheap everything. The fan solution works very well. The router stays cool all the time. I wish there were more options for cable router combos on the market. There are very few and they all suck. 

I chose to use a 2 box solution. In my case a Netgear modem, which just seems to just work, and a different box for router. Gives more flexibility. Should I want to replace, say the router, I don't have to look for a modem router combo to satisfy my new need. Also, should say the modem part fails, again I got to look for a modem/router solution where with the two box just get a new modem. 

Message 7 of 13
TechieMafaka
Guide

Kind of defeats the cable wireless router combo concept don't you think? Like most people I don't want to pay for leasing a modem or buying a seperate cable modem. I also don't want two components cluttering space. Why not just make a product that works? That's what we pay for? I don't by a car so that the steering wheel comes off while I'm driving, right? 

Message 8 of 13
myersw
Master

Other advantage to the 2 box solution is typically the modem/router combo do not have as feature rich set as a good standalone router. Use one box if that is what makes you happy. I just like being able to swap out one part  should I want to. 

Message 9 of 13
TechieMafaka
Guide

No I'm not saying tha tyour wrong. I thought the same way, but I just don't want to pay leasing hardware. A good router and seperate cable modem is a bit more costly. I'm tempted to build out my own router and call it day. 

Message 10 of 13
myersw
Master

@TechieMafaka wrote:

No I'm not saying tha tyour wrong. I thought the same way, but I just don't want to pay leasing hardware. A good router and seperate cable modem is a bit more costly. I'm tempted to build out my own router and call it day. 

I own my modem not leasing it. 

Message 11 of 13
TechieMafaka
Guide

i kinda figured. What modem did you purchase?

Message 12 of 13
myersw
Master

@TechieMafaka wrote:

i kinda figured. What modem did you purchase?

Look at my sig maybe???? Got to look around. 😉

You do have to be careful and buy one that the ISP has on their approved list to be sure it will work.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7