Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear CM1000v2 and Netgear Ac1200 slow internet speed wireless

froehlij
Follower

Netgear CM1000v2 and Netgear Ac1200 slow internet speed wireless

Hi there, im giving this forum a try to see if anyone can help me. Im getting really slow interent speeds. Im paying for a gigabit (granted i know it may not always be that high) but im getting very slow speeds. on my 2.4ghz im getting between 25-50Mbps and on my 5g im getting between 100-150Mbps. If i plug my laptop directly into my modem i do get my full gigabit connection. I have not tried doing a wired connection into my router but i assume it will be similar since wired is always faster. I would assume i should be getting in the 150Mbps range on 2.4ghz and i was expecting to get between 300-500Mbps on the 5g. Ive used fast.com, and the nighthawk app and got simlart results in speed. these results are also the same between my laptop and my phone. heres a little more information for you.

Router Firmware: V1.1.0.86_1.0.1

Qos: Is turned off

Traffic monitor: is turned off.

MTU: Set to 1500

im kinda at a loss as to what to do next. I know its not netgear but i was getting very similar results with an Asus router which is why i tried to get a netgear one to match my modem thinking maybe there was just something wrong with the asus. but im getting pretty much the exact same things. Any help would be appreciated.

Model: R6200v2|AC1200 Dual Band Gigabit Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear CM1000v2 and Netgear Ac1200 slow internet speed wireless

Ensure your getting near 900Mbps speeds with a wired PC connected directly to the CM1200 modem. IT should see this. I know mine does. 

Your router is old enough that it may not support near 900Mpbs wired speeds thru it. Let alone seeing anything near 500Mpbs on wireless which maybe max limitation of your model router. Most current routers and wifi devices max out at around 400-600Mpbs on wifi. You'll need a router that supports 1733Mbps connection rates or AX supporting router along with a wireless device that supports 1733Mbps on 5G or an AX mode supporting device to see anything near 900Mbps spees on wifi. 

NG R7800 supports 160Mhz channel width that supports 1733Mbps on 5GHz AC. There are other routers as well, however this is only half of the equasion where you need a wifi client device that supports the same connection rates. Some do, some don't. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7