Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Genie is apparently obsolete/unnecessary for Nighthawk wifi routers?

EddieVIV
Follower

Netgear Genie is apparently obsolete/unnecessary for Nighthawk wifi routers?

On Tuesday the 5th I posted the following: "What software should I be using with RAX45 on my Mac?"  Out of 93 reads, 35 page views, I got one response which directed me to read the user manual. With all due respect, the manual makes no reference to "Genie".

I get the impression that Netgear intended for the Nighthawk app to replace Netgear Genie.

1. The version of Genie that I inherited (it stayed on my Mac after installing a new router) says "v 2.4.42 by BIGIT.com".  I have seen a reference to v 2.4.60*, but no way to update. Bigit has no web page. This thing quits almost daily and occasionally generates a "Problem Report: of some 34 pages, with 64 lines per page that it says will be forwarded to Apple.  I would like to delete Genie but I don't want to make things worse.

2. Nighthawk is available only for iOS, not for desktop. The documentation makes no reference to Genie.

3. Firmware: by logging on via a browser, my router reports vers 1.0.2.82_2.0.50. The documentation says it will check for any new version and ask if I want it installed. It finds none. Meanwhile, the Netgear web site refers to ver 1.0.3.96.

So, for now, the solution seems to be that if I have something I need to control, I should log in via a brower as the advanced users do who have participated in discussions of this problem.

I'll keep putting up with the daily crashes unless someone reports having uninstalled Genie with no ill effects.

Early this year I succumbed to the temptation of a relatively low price for the performance level in my local Costco and bought this RAX45 6 stream wifi AX4300 (does not appear on any list I've seen yet) It is fast, but on the whole I'm sorry I've stayed with Netgear. They seem to be in the business of making and selling, but not supporting, fast routers.  $90 after 90 days for their support is, in my opinion, outrageous, and I would never spring for such a thing.

*On a netgear page for WNDR4500v2 N900, there is a button for downloading current version Genie for Mac. The link is broken. The release notes are dated 1-9-2019.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Kitsap
Master

Re: Netgear Genie is apparently obsolete/unnecessary for Nighthawk wifi routers?

You can wait as long as you want.

Eventually you will figure out the only reasonable way to configure/maintain a Netgear router is through a web browser on a computer connected to the router via an ethernet cable.

Shortly after that you will figure out the only reasonable way to update the firmware is manually through the web browser connected as above.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7