Netgear Genie

Mulns54
Aspirant

Netgear Genie

I need to download the Netgear Genie for mac os and cannot find it anywhere!  My mac can't detect my router and have no way of trying to get it fixed!   Can someone give me a link to download the genie!   I have searched and all I can find, is mobile apps not one for desktop!  Please help I need to get my internet up and running!  I am connected to hotspot on my phone to do searches!

thank you

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear Genie

Both the Windows and macOS version downloads are almost impossible to find, the support.netgear.com pages rarely list these downloads, same for the Netgear Download Center (at least for some current products like the R9000 I've checked) or even the Genie App landing page. (Windows/PC version is there, macOS is gone...). 

Reported at least a dozen time - Netgear seems to run out of control, no management.

Here you go, one of the few references - product does not matter:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/C7000.aspx#NETGEAR%20Genie%20App%20(Mac)

http://updates1.netgear.com/netgeargenie/mac/update/NETGEARGenieInstaller.dmg

Send beer!

Message 2 of 12
Mulns54
Aspirant

Why is the mac os gone?   How do I get the genie for the mac os then....this is really messed up for mac deskyop users!

Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@Mulns54 wrote:

Why is the mac os gone?

Challenge Netgear - thier mess, not mine.

@Mulns54 wrote:

Why is the mac os gone?   How do I get the genie for the mac os then....this is really messed up for mac deskyop users!

macOS link above in my post (and on the Netgear C7000 support downloads for example).

Message 4 of 12
antinode
Guru

> I need to download the Netgear Genie for mac os [...]

Why, exactly?

> [...] My mac can't detect my router [...]

What, exactly, does that mean to you?  "can't" is not a useful
problem description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say
what happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions with
their actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more
helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

If your computer "can't detect" your router, then what makes you
believe that loading some Netgear Genie app onto your computer will
help?

It might help if you explained your situation in a problem
description which includes some useful information, rather than by
asking how to implement some particular "solution", which may or may not
do anything helpful.  For example, is this a new installation, or did a
previously working configuration fail?  ISP?  Is there a modem involved?
What, exactly, is connected to what, exactly?  What, exactly, is your
"My mac"?  Does it have an Ethernet interface?  What, exactly, did you
do?  What, exactly, happened when you did it?

> [...] I am connected to hotspot on my phone to do searches!

While you can, you might visit http://netgear.com/support , put in
your model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.
Read.

> [...] How do I get the genie for the mac os then....this is really
> messed up for mac deskyop users!

I control/configure my D7000, with no particular difficulty, using a
web browser from my Mac, as suggested in the D7000 User Manual.  Again,
what makes you believe that loading some Netgear Genie app onto your
computer will help you with whatever your actual problem might be?

Message 5 of 12
Mulns54
Aspirant

I'm not as lucky as most people with great internet and I use the genie to help with my wifi connections, I have to have 2 or 3 range extenders in my home because of the way my house is laid out!  I have a local small town cable service for my internet and the genie helps me check all my wifi info to my router, and my extenders!  It may not be needed by most people, but I'm not most people and definitely not stupid when it comes to my internet connections!  I will have at least 9 connections with my router and extender connections and some are very stronge and some are weak, so the strongest connections are the ones most used...

thank you for your information!

Message 6 of 12

@Mulns54 wrote:

My mac can't detect my router and have no way of trying to get it fixed!

Most experienced users go nowhere near the dekstop app, Mac or Windows. They do things with the browser.

Netgear wants to move mobile users away from Netgear apps to Nighthawk apps. There is a link for that on the support pages for your device:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Most experienced users go nowhere near the dekstop app, Mac or Windows. They do things with the browser.

Explain this to the Gen Z people. That's the driver for the Nightawk App, no doubts. 

And the Genie Web UI is far from modern, sexy, has poor usability, is buggy, more than limited.  When I see modern Web UI on popular NAS systems (like Synolgy and QNAP) what a pleasure to work with. Netgear Genie Web UI (and the Nighthawk feature set) is stuck somewhere in the late 1990ties.

@michaelkenward wrote:

Netgear wants to move mobile users away from Netgear apps to Nighthawk apps.

Want ... nice idea, but (as common with Netgear's consumer BU) no resources, no design, no quality control. No plan, no related documentation, no customer information about an intended phase-out (if any), no plan for Genie Windows and Genie macOS users migration. The only "plan" was to close the Genie forum (open now again after protesting), why ever removing the macOS Genie download from the Genie landing page (wow), and remove it from the related product downloads. 

And (of course) the Nighthawk App does support a small subset of features of the Genie App and programs. Live Parental Control (the OpenDNS based one - still the only one readily available on most Netgear routers) does still require the Genie App. And that's not the only one.

Out of sight. Out of mind. Customers can ask in the community, and some idiots like us are helping out.

What a plan. 

Message 8 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@Mulns54 wrote:

I need to download the Netgear Genie for mac os and cannot find it anywhere!

Where did you look? Have you tried the Apple Store? That is where I got it (now the Nighthawk app has replaced Genie so maybe that is why you can't find it) for my iPad.

@Mulns54 wrote:

My mac can't detect my router and have no way of trying to get it fixed!  

Completely different problem, and Genie/Nighthawk will NOT fix that for you.

You need to solve the LAN connection first... make sure you are supplying the correct IP Address of the router and wireless SSID passphrase as well as using the same security as the SSID uses.

Might help if you provided more info about "can't connect" for some Mac users to assist.

Message 9 of 12

@IrvSp wrote:

@Mulns54 wrote:

Where did you look? Have you tried the Apple Store? That is where I got it (now the Nighthawk app has replaced Genie so maybe that is why you can't find it) for my iPad.

Would the Apple store have software for desktop Macs? If it is anything like Android and the Google "store", it will have stuff for iThings, but not mac OS.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 10 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

Lot of reasons why the Nighthawk App does not (yet ...) fully replace neither the desktop nor the mobile Genie programs. 

@michaelkenward wrote:

Would the Apple store have software for desktop Macs? If it is anything like Android and the Google "store", it will have stuff for iThings, but not mac OS.

The Mac App Store does indeed exist - for macOS and macOS Apps (since the later OS X days). Still, there is no reason why Netgear makes it almost impossible to download the Genie programs - even for routers and router features which are not substituted. Circle isn't a valid anser for a replacement of the Live Parental Control as it's available on very few models only. And even the top of the line Nighthawk models are not inlcuded. Similar for Netgear Armour. 

C'mon Michael - complain to Netgear instead of trying to reflect Netgear's unfriendly behaviour.

Message 11 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

@Mulns54 wrote:

Don't know if it is or isn't for a Mac. However it wasn't hard to find the latest Mac version with Google, see https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6327-netgear-genie.html. No, it isn't a Netgear site, but there must be a place where NG distributes it.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements