Netgear Issues from Non Network Type

theolsarge
Aspirant

Netgear Issues from Non Network Type

I am bran spanking new here. I have worked with computers from the bad ol' DOS days, did tech support for 'bout 7 years but very, very little networking experience am retired now, so please be kind in your responses, if any. Smiley Happy

Just picked up my R7000 two weeks ago and am getting to know it. Have a couple of frustrating issues between the routerlogin settings/capabilities and the windows/android Genie app.

In the Genie App, android and windows, I can "modify" another device's name in Network Map but NOT the hosting device, that is the device I'm on. While not essential it would be nice, don't you think? Ain't hard to figure out which is which.

In routerlogin, access control, I can go thru the motions of assigning a "device name". I can save it, refresh it and the name(s) I assigned are there. However, when I log out and back in again, the device names revert back to the generic names they had before, if they had one. My connected blue ray player has a simple "-" as a device name. Honest. Cell and tablet have "android-XXXXXXXXX" as a "device name".

I think both these issues are genuine shortcomings that should not be there. I hope somebody important from Netgear is reading this and kick some butt to get it fixed.

I've brought both these issues up with the so called "experts". The level one person was a joke even for a beginning user, level two guy called me, he had his duckies more in a row. Level one solution was reinstall firmware, yeah right, level two solution was a beta firmware upgrade. Not going to do either, if these issues are NOT specifically addressed, then it's a good guess the issue(s) are not fixed.

Finally, why are we stuck with "admin" as a user name? Especially home networks?

My 2¢ for the forum!
Message 1 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Netgear Issues from Non Network Type

Device name you find under attach devices is resolving by ARP command and not editable to change to ones preference name. It uses each devices name that is on device side not router. Router simply reads and some device does not have name therefor you get " -"
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I believe that the issues you describe are related to the router's relatively stripped down implementation of DNS. In order for the R7000 to do what you want, it would have to function as a DNS server, storing host names and assigning them via DHCP, etc.

The R7000 router (and most consumer routers without 3rd party firmware) function as DNS proxies by forwarding DNS requests sent to themselves to whatever DNS servers they look to for name resolution.

The "names" you see in the router interface are actually the names that each individual device has assigned to itself in it's own operating system. You can change them on the router but the next time the device connects it will change back because the only PERMANENT record of the device's name is in the device, not the router.
Message 3 of 12
theolsarge
Aspirant

I thank you both for replying without tearing me a new ars! Smiley Happy

I agree w/both of you but offer this in reply.

In routerlogin, access control, I can select the device then edit and physically change the device name. Why would the function be there if the capability wasn't supposed to be there? Also, I have, in fact, changed the names of both android devices but, again, only the long generic name appears in access control. The long generic device names do not appear anywhere, I can find, on either device. Earlier, I had a friend's android device (phone) on my network but her "device name" was " - " like my blue ray player. That is no "android-XXXXXXXXX" . . . plot thickens. And my (windows) computer name is "(my name) Comuter". That name was assigned in windows and appears that way in access control but, on one occasion at least, I went into router login and that (wifi not wired) device name was " - ". It showed the assigned device name sometime later.

Frankly, if I had a string of devices listed with " - " or long generic names I'd have to resort to pen and paper to keep track. Shouldn't be that way.

Now, switching to Netgear Genie, I can change ("modify") a device name elsewhere on the network except the host device, the device I'm on.

None of this makes a lot of sense to me.

Thanks
Message 4 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You can also enter devices "names" in the DHCP reservation section.

That ability exists, in my opinion, for ease of administration. In other words, it only changes the device name locally, in that particular configuration screen. It's not actually a "hostname" and has nothing to do with DNS.
Message 5 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Access control and address reservation both are NOT there to change device name

Only used as profile name and has nothing relation to device listed under attach device
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I have to agree with the OP. When the user provides names for devices, in address reservation for example, the router firmware should use those names in other tables as a user convenience. This is independent of what the device returns in response to ARP packets (or whatever) It seems like a small thing, unless you have several devices that don't provide their names to the firmware via ARP. Then it becomes a case where the firmware can do a little more work to use the names provided by the user (associated with the device's MAC address) to make the user's life a little easier. For example, dd-wrt firmware does this, uses the user provided names in it's tables, and they are easier to interpret as a result than the Netgear stock firmware tables. The router firmware could provide both names in attached device tables, the one that the device returns and the one that the user associates with it via address reservation, if necessary to make the networking purists happy.

Coming from the software industry, the tradeoff between software functionality to support the user, and resource usage to do that, turned the corner several years ago. Now there's plenty of room for functionality that's only there to make users lives easier. Even dedicated hardware devices like smart phones, tablet, and routers have lots of resources that can be used for this. All you have to do as a software or firmware developer is take that one more step to make users lives easier, and users will appreciate it. And, darn it, will come to expect it, that's the worst part for software/firmware companies *smile*. To be clear, I'm not advocating frivolous features being added, since they tend to clutter things up and become support problems themselves, just that one extra step that is really a user convenience.
Message 7 of 12
theolsarge
Aspirant

RogerSC wrote:
I'm not advocating frivolous features being added,

Nope, but when the "feature" is already there but doesn't hold . . .

Oddly enough, the only thing in the user manual on anything on access control is on pages 54 and 55. Nothing at all about "edit". :rolleyes:
Message 8 of 12
theolsarge
Aspirant

No comments about how and why we're stuck with "admin" . . . ? :confused:

Frivolous? Yes but still interesting to me.
Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, the fact that the Readyshare feature doesn't have user-level access after almost 5 years of development is pretty sad...
Message 10 of 12
theolsarge
Aspirant

htismaqe wrote:
You can change them on the router but the next time the device connects it will change back because the only PERMANENT record of the device's name is in the device, not the router.

Which leads me, again, to the question if the device name is not intended to be edited why is the edit function there? In the edit page are 3 settings, two are editable. "Access Control" has a a drop down box w/two settings "allow" and "block". The third is "device name" which is completely editable (type what you want). The 2nd is "MAC Address" which is greyed out.
Message 11 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Obviously, that is not a question I can answer. I only know how it functions, not why it functions that way.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E