× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk A7000 AC1900 causes crashes and computer restarts

striker0815
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk A7000 AC1900 causes crashes and computer restarts

Hello all,

since I seem to have too many interfering factors for a good powerlan (~45Mbit out of 130Mbit arriving at my AVM Fritzbox), I decided to switch to WLAN with a strong receiver and bought the Netgear A7000 USB WLAN Stick AC1900.

Speed-wise I am fully satisfied, BUT:
Since I installed the standalone driver and connected the device to a USB 3.0 (front USB on the case), my PC crashed three times within three hours.
Everything starts with a loss of the internet connection.
Examples: My home office remote connection freezes, a YouTube video just doesn't play or an online game simply stops working like I have a really long lag.
After about 5-10 seconds, the computer crashes and reboots immediately.

In the events of Windows I could not find anything meaningful except for
CRITICAL 01/15/2021 17:40:08 "The system was restarted without being shut down properly first. This error may occur if the system became unresponsive or crashed, or if power was unexpectedly interrupted."

I switched back to cable (powerlan) for about 5 hours and everything worked fine. Then I uninstalled the drivers from Netgear, reinstalled them, connected the A7000 again and after about 20 Minutes my computer crashed again and after a restart and about 2 Minutes it crashed once more.

My only idea would be to try an active USB hub with its own power supply. The fact that the internet connection is always lost just before the crash and that it only happens when I'm connected to the internet via the A7000 is definitely an indication that the Netgear stick is not doing what it is supposed to, but why the whole PC shuts down and restarts is not clear to me.

If you need any further information please let me know and I will provide you with everything you need.

Answers can be in english or german 🙂

Thanks in advance
Julian

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 3

Re: Netgear Nighthawk A7000 AC1900 causes crashes and computer restarts

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Adapters - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

Message 2 of 3
striker0815
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk A7000 AC1900 causes crashes and computer restarts

Oh, I didn't realize that, thanks! 

It would be very nice if a moderator could move the topic.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7