Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 orange light when connected to Netgear Powerline 1200 how to fix?

BladeParker
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 orange light when connected to Netgear Powerline 1200 how to fix?

Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 orange light when connected to Netgear Powerline 1200.

Anyway to fix this?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 orange light when connected to Netgear Powerline 1200 how to fix?

> [...] why is the Nighhawk port orange? [...]

A bad cable could do it.  Connect the ends of that cable to any two
LAN Ethernet ports on the R7000P.  Do the two corresponding port-status
indicators show white or amber?

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
BladeParker
Aspirant

...and I am already aware of this: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Orange-Red-light-on-my-netgear-nighthawk-rou...

If the device you connected is only capable of 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN connection, the LAN port lights amber to show.....

Message 2 of 10

@BladeParker wrote:

Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 orange light when connected to Netgear Powerline 1200.

Which AC2300? Which orange light?

AC2300 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

The R7000P, one AC2300, has about a dozen LEDs on the top. Several of them have an "Amber" setting.

Message 3 of 10
BladeParker
Aspirant

Here it is, thanks.

R7000P

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Did you read the link? 10/100Mbps cable into the port, and that can be ANY cable, it is the device at the other end that determines the connection.

Still, no information which LED is orange... I assume it is one of the 4 ports?

The Powerline Adapter can connect at 1Gb, so the problem is either:

• Cable being used.
  • Port on router bad, try another.
  • Powerline adapter bad.
Message 5 of 10

As @IrvSp says, the most important detail is missing.

Which LED?

The device does matter, but the LED array is usually similar on most modern kit.

Oh, and what is going wrong that makes you ask about the LED?

Something not connecting? Going slow? Throwing up errors?

Message 6 of 10
BladeParker
Aspirant

This is my understanding as to WHY it is orange. "If the device you connected is only capable of 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN connection, the LAN port lights amber to show that it is connected at a slower speed than what is supported by the router. If your device has a Gigabit Ethernet port, the LAN port lights white."

The Powerline 1200 should be well above 10/100. It is listed as, "10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet port" Hence the question, why is the Nighhawk port orange? All other LAN port lights are white as expected.

Message 7 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] why is the Nighhawk port orange? [...]

A bad cable could do it.  Connect the ends of that cable to any two
LAN Ethernet ports on the R7000P.  Do the two corresponding port-status
indicators show white or amber?

Message 8 of 10

@BladeParker wrote:

The Powerline 1200 should be well above 10/100. It is listed as, "10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet port" Hence the question, why is the Nighhawk port orange? All other LAN port lights are white as expected.

My Powerline PLP1200 show as a Gb connection on a 16-port dumb switch. So I second the cable hypothesis.

Message 9 of 10
BladeParker
Aspirant

It was the cable... 😞

My appologies, I was certain I had tested that before. Thank you for all of the help!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7