Netgear Nighthawk AX8 in combination with a VPN PROVIDER

1961theo
Star

Netgear Nighthawk AX8 in combination with a VPN PROVIDER

Hello, to u al. 👍🏻

One week ago i bought a Netgear Nighthawk AX8 router.  (this is the right version) brand new

I would like to install a VPN provider on this router. 

My question is very simple is it possible and witch one can delivere good privacy etc.

My router is combined with a MacBook Pro and a Synology NAS DS 918+

To my knowledge it is only safe to surf and download behind the router. 

Only installing it on my Mac doesnt make me stealth.

I hope someone can easely explain me how to implement the VPN Provider for instance ExpressVPN  on my router. Or otherwise another provider  i am not that educated to understand the exact frases/terms in this, so please help me out if you can.

Many thanks and with regards,

Theo

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AX8 in combination with a VPN PROVIDER

You will find quite a few messages around here about VPN support an various Netgear devices. But there probably isn't enough in depth knowledge to answer your questions.

I would start at the other end. Find a VPN provider you like the look of, see what you have to do to use it. Does it require flashing new customised firmware, for example? And ask the provider about compatible hardware

You could also search this forum for messages about particular VPN services.

For example:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – ExpressVPN

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
1961theo
Star

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AX8 in combination with a VPN PROVIDER

Hello Michael,

I tread various ways to optain information how to solve my issue. Never the less, i solution has not come on my path :smileyfrustr

In my opinion Netgear has also a sort of obligation to communicatie with the various VPN providers to make it some easyer for both their clients.

I just read an article that wrote that my synology NAS DS 918+ can also function as a sort of router?? 

but how must i understand this, if this is true, is it a by-pass router installation setup, witch ecclude the mode of the internetprovider?

greats and thanx for thinking with me.

Theo.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements