Re: Netgear Nighthawk Ac1900 R700 & Virgin Hub 3.0

MrCaldwell
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk Ac1900 R700 & Virgin Hub 3.0

Hi all, 

I hope you can help me. I'm desperate to fix this. I have a Netgear Nighthawk Ac1900 R700. I have connected it to my Virgin Hub 3.0 via modem mode. The nighthawk has just been restored to factory and has the latest firmware as of today. 

The problem is, when a device connected to the nighthawk via eithernet with the above setup, i recieve 220mbps max.

With the Virgin Hub 3.0 not in router mode and a device connected directly to it via ethernet it recieves 300+mbps. 

So once i connect the nighthawk via modem mode the speed drops by 100+mbps. Is there something stopping the nighthawk reaching my service full potential which is 300mbps? 

If you are kind enough to respond with a solution i am a novice with terms and navigation around the netgear router site so a simple explanation will be appreciated. 

Thank you 

Message 1 of 4

@MrCaldwell wrote:

With the Virgin Hub 3.0 not in router mode and a device connected directly to it via ethernet it recieves 300+mbps. 

Can you clarify the "not in router mode" bit?

Previous conversations here suggest that it isn't that easy to put that device into bridge mode.

Did you try this?

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Virgin Hub

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
MrCaldwell
Aspirant

Hi Michael, 

By not in router mode i mean the hub 3 being used as the router and providing internet to my device (such as ipad/laptop/iphone)

If by bridge mode you mean placing the hub 3.0 in modem mode and connecting the nighthawk to allow it be used as the device which provides my devices internet, i have successfully managed to do this with ease. 

Message 3 of 4
AndyCalling
Guide

OK, so UK VM 'routers' include an option called 'Modem Mode' which disables the router entirely and leaves the box as a modem only. This is different to 'Bridge Mode' which most US posters refer to. The OP is doing the right thing. US respondents, please consider this to be a simple modem connected to the Nighthawk router once Modem Mode is enabled. VM routers can do bridge mode, but such is only useful in fairly exotic home setups and is usually not needed. Please also note that users will often call their VM box a 'router' even if it is in modem mode as this is common parlance (though confusingly incorrect once modem mode is enabled).

This will be nothing to do with the VM modem. I have the r7000p connected to my VM modem which is a little different, but the same issues will apply. First, reset your Netgear router to factory defaults. Then on the router:

1) Do not enable Disney Circle (if the r7000 even has that).

2) Do not even touch the settings for QoS. Once set, even changing them back will not always reverse the performance degredation it can cause. Only a factory reset will sort you out.

3) Do not enable any form of logging.

4) Do not enable MAC address filtering.

There may be other things not to be enabled, I'm sure other posters can help if so.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E