Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk D8500 - 2.4GHz dropout

JamezyMB
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk D8500 - 2.4GHz dropout

Hi,

I just purchased a Netgear Nighthawk D8500 and it has connected to the Internet nicely, working fine. However, this morning it appears the 2.4GHz wifi signal just dropped out, while the 5GHz is still working fine. I've noticed searching around others might have also had this issue? Is there a solution available? The firmware appears to be up-to-date. Restarting has so far fixed the issue, but just concerned if it happens again.

Also, I'm from New Zealand. The wifi country is currently set to Australia? Should I be using that or something else? As New Zealand isn't listed.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk D8500 - 2.4GHz dropout

Ya, seen issues with using Auto. Not sure why it picked 3.

AU and NZ are in the same region so I presume either should work fine. It may have been just how the auto picked since it seem to detect others on 6 and 11. Auto is notorious for disconnects. Nature of the beast. Using manual should fix this...

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
JamezyMB
Aspirant

Tried so far.

Manually downloading current latest firmware "D8500 V1.0.3.42 1.0.1" and uploading to router, then doing a factory reset. Resetup router, same issue occured.

Noticed the 2.4GHz channel was using "3" when on "Auto" and the "Australia" country code range might be different than "New Zealand". Ideally don't you want the channel to be 1, 6, or 12? Channel 3 was overlapping the edge of another using channel 6 in the neighbourhood.

So set the Wifi to country code "US" (as similar to NZ range) and the 2.4GHz channel to "1". Seems to be stable now and might have resolved it.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Channels 1, 6, 11 or 13 are recommended channesl to use as they are primary channels world wide accept for 13 here in the USA/Canada region. All other channels are over lap channels used by the wifi system.

Check for nieghbors using these channesl and adjust accordingly.

Message 3 of 6
JamezyMB
Aspirant

Hi FURRYe38,

Thanks for your reply. I believe here in New Zealand it's channels 1, 6, or 11 on the 2.4GHz wifi signal range?

I used a wifi analyzer app on the smart phone to check and channel 1 was empty so used that (channel 6 and 11 both had other wifi signals).

Not sure if the overlapping channel 3 (when on auto) was causing the issue? If so, suggest they add a New Zealand country code and only auto select 1, 6, or 11 to prevent that overlapping issue. Seems odd that it was on channel 3 by auto, but perhaps that's fine in other countries.

Does it matter what country code I select? It's default Australia country code for New Zealand doesn't seem correct at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, seen issues with using Auto. Not sure why it picked 3.

AU and NZ are in the same region so I presume either should work fine. It may have been just how the auto picked since it seem to detect others on 6 and 11. Auto is notorious for disconnects. Nature of the beast. Using manual should fix this...

Message 5 of 6
JamezyMB
Aspirant

It's been stable and working fine for a couple days now. Using country code US and channel 1, rather than "Auto".

Thanks for your suggestions. I would change it back to AU, but I see no harm in US country code since it's working and within NZ limits.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7