Highlighted
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Slow Internet Speed Solved

If you are experiencing slower than expected Internet download speeds it's most likely your firmware version.  I battled this issue for months until I stumbled across another forum member's solution.  Downgrade your firmware to version 1.0.3.24 and your problem will be solved.  It's very unfortunate that Netgear doesn't care enough about their user base to resolve this issue.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Slow Internet Speed Solved

I had the same problem as well, 300 Mpbs dropping down to 160-170 Mbps on my desktop PC. Disconnecting all devices and replacing my ethernet cable didn't work. Funny enough, the Speedtest tool in QoS Setup tab showed ~300 Mbps download and this is what raised my suspicions.

Following your advice I downgraded my firmware and the original download speed is back.

However, I don't feel comfortable sitting on outdated firmware due to possible security issues.

Message 2 of 38
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All,

Have you updated to this latest firmware?

https://kb.netgear.com/000049003/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-10

Reset and reconfigure after.

Message 3 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi JamesGL,

Yes, I downloaded V1.0.9.10_1.2.21 via the router update option.

I followed your advice, i.e. restored factory settings, connected to the internet and I got full 300 Mbps download speed for a brief period of time. However, when I proceeded to configure other settings (e.g. changing the IP address from 192.168.x.x to 10.x.x.x, disabling built-in DHCP server in order to bring my own, chaning the DNS server, blocking certain websites, enabling VPN service), Speedtest launched on my PC showed once again a significant decrease in download speed. The Speedtest in QoS tab was still showing ~300 Mbps download as expected.

While I didn't want to reset the router again and launch Speedtest every tiniest change in the settings, I noticed that Traffic Meter was one of the wrongdoers. However, even having it turned off the problem is still noticable. Right now it feels as if the only way to go is to use default settings.

Message 4 of 38
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi lucani,

If you disable QoS, will it have the same speed?

Message 5 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

Running V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 now. I get the same speed regardless of QoS setting (I have it turned off by default).
Message 6 of 38
Highlighted
Luminary

R7000 as a border router - working great.  I really like the circle with disney feature but it seems to be adding quite a bit of overhead - my ring doorbells have difficulty connecting if it's enabled in live view.  I tried moving all the IoT to unmanaged wtihout any fix.  Finally went back to Netgear opendns parental control and all is well.  

@netgear : any issues with slowdown V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 - prior to this it was fine with circle with disney.  Thanks.  QoS is off and I'm not using wifi.  

Message 7 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

OK, I have some more interesting insights into this. 1. The problem affects my desktop PC running Windows 10 Enterprise. All updates installed. Malware and virus checks completed without issues. Network adapter driver up to date. Effect: download speed still way below the expectations. 2. I also refreshed my old laptop and installed a fresh copy of Debian GNU/Linux (9.2 aka Stretch). And guess what! Speedtest showed 240Mbps download on a wired connection. Still not 300 Mpbs as expected, but much faster than 120-140 Mbps made by my Windows workstation.. I suspect both R7000 and Windows 10 are complicit. I've also tried tweaking various Windows settings based on tips from Google, but no success so far.
Message 8 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am on firmware version V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 and I can't get better then 215Mbps on my internet download speed.  I have reset my router back to the defaults with no luck.  Is there anyway to increase the internet speed other then purchasing a new router?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 9 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

I updated from V1.0.7.12_1.2.5 to V1.0.9.12_1.2.23 and noticed my internet speed would slowly degrade over the course of 24 hours from 125 Mbps to about half the speed (~65 Mbps). After power-cycling the router the speeds went back to normal but again started degrading. I then tried a factory reset and but still speeds degrade over time. I've gone back to V1.0.7.12_1.2.5 and all has been fine for two days now. I don't plan to troubleshoot this any further, just adding my experience.
Message 10 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

Upgraded to V1.0.9.12_1.2.23. Internet on Wired Connection is 250Mbps on wifi 5ghz its down to 40. It was around 220ish before the update.

Message 11 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

This worked for me!

Message 12 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you!!! Rolling back my FW to version 1.0.3.24 fixed my problem. I was literally getting 10 down 10 up with the most recent version. Rolling back and nothing else got me back up to 300 down 30 up.

Message 13 of 38
Highlighted

I’ve tried the suggested solution and it didn’t work for me. Tried turning off WMM that didn’t help.

Try turning on ATF. Enable Airtime Fairness. After I did this I no longer have the slow WiFi speeds. Speeds are around 100 down 6 up on 5ghz. Also I have 9 devices connected in total.
Message 14 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

Updated my router to V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 but the internet speeds didn't change since my last post in October. I still get around 50% of my download speed on a wired connection (130-150mbps instead of 300mpbs, upload works as expected). I tried tweaking all possible settings and limiting the number of connected devices while running the test and nothing worked. 

SpeedTest executed at QoS tab shows ~306Mbps download, so I'm reluctant to blame ISP for that.

Unless flashing alternative firmware solves the problem I'll start looking for a different network hardware in 2018.

Message 15 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

Netgear has definitely messed up the new firmware. The speeds are much slower. A way to get slightly better speeds is by

Advanced > Setup > QoS

enable QoS

switch it to Dynamic

Turn on auto update database

manually updated the database on time

enable WMM.

I personally dont like the router to speed up or slow down a particular device on my router. But this is the only solution to get better speeds on the latest firmware.

Message 16 of 38
Highlighted
Initiate

I've been going rounds with woway tech support and lost. I did some more troubleshooting and found that I was able to get full speeds directly through the modem. Worked my way back and thanks to your hint about QOS, noticed that I was set for Dynamic QOS already. So of course I tried to flip it to Advanced QOS and noticed that there was a speed test button and it was set at 60. I must have tried it when I was messing around with the advanced settings one day. So, what the H, I'll hi the speed test button again. It finishes with a hey your speed is 110 and updates the field. I hit apply, wait for a reboot and all speed tests come back at over 110. I didn't initially see the field though as it is hidden if you switch back to Dynamic QOS. I'm not sure this is relevent to the original post, but hopefully helps someone!

Message 17 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

This one works for me downgrading to V1.0.3.24_1.1_20
Message 18 of 38
Highlighted

Will this problem ever get fixed on a newer firmware Smiley Sad
Message 19 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was also seeing half the speed on speed tests for wifi (both networks) and was just about ready to downgrade, then i noticed in QOS settings, which you don't even need to have enabled, however you need to check "enable QoS" box, at the bottom   -

Automatically update performance optimization database    

Current Performance Optimization Database on Router
Version: v1.170,0.0.11
Release Date: 2017/07/23

after i manually clicked update, i am now back to what my archer c7 wifi performance was.  Smiley Very Happy

I did not see this advice anywhere,  perhaps this is the same issue regarding speed everybody else is having ovber wifi?

Message 20 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

The latest firmware fixed the issue. Disabled QOS. Speed still high.
Message 21 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

WIndows 7 Pro

Message 22 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

Folks,

I'm not sure why this thread is CLOSED, as the problem is NOT SOLVED.  Here is proof that it isn't "solved".  After reading other's posts, and fruitless hours with COX Comms on the phone, it was obvious that when I connected directly to the modem I had normal sppeds for my service,. As soon as I added the router my service speeds dropped significantly, with streaming stutter, page load delays and other issues. 

After reading folks' posts on the web, I decided to try the firmware roll-back.  I used all the same settings and changed ONLY the firmware. DSLReports Speed Test was used for the numbers below, although I tried others as well (SPEEDTEST.NET, COX SPEED TEST, ATT, XFininty,  CneturyLInk, TestMy, Etc.) with similar results.  Every test showed substantial imporvements in speeds over the new firmware.

Here are the stats I have changing ONLY the firmware:

Firmware version V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 vice downgrading to V1.0.3.24_1.1_20

Firmware version    v1.0.9           versus       v1.0.3

DOWNLOAD SPEEDS:   234 MBPS        ->         356  MBPS

UPLOAD SPEEDS:         12.7 MBPS        ->         28.4  MBPS

NETGEAR, you need to address this... and fast...  this kind of degradation is absurd.  I understand the need for fixing security issues, and the potential for processing impacts, but a 35% down and 56% up reduction in performance is horrible.  Didn't your QA folks test this????  Don't you value your reputation in the market?

You need to revisit your firmware code and get this right.  This issue is all over the web and you are losing customers to other products from you competition.  If this isn't fixed soon, I am moving to another product as well and I'd bet others will to.  I have been a NETGEAR 'fan' for years, but not after this.  As your customers, we will soon see how much pride you have in your product... you need to own up to this and get it fixed.

Message 23 of 38
Highlighted
Initiate

I totally agree w/ JimboH's comments below.  I have two R7000 routers in different locations.  Both were experiencing significant degradation w/ the latest firmware updates.  NETGEAR needs to provide firmware WITH security updates and WITHOUT a significant loss of speed.

@JimboH wrote:

Folks,

I'm not sure why this thread is CLOSED, as the problem is NOT SOLVED.  Here is proof that it isn't "solved".  After reading other's posts, and fruitless hours with COX Comms on the phone, it was obvious that when I connected directly to the modem I had normal sppeds for my service,. As soon as I added the router my service speeds dropped significantly, with streaming stutter, page load delays and other issues. 

After reading folks' posts on the web, I decided to try the firmware roll-back.  I used all the same settings and changed ONLY the firmware. DSLReports Speed Test was used for the numbers below, although I tried others as well (SPEEDTEST.NET, COX SPEED TEST, ATT, XFininty,  CneturyLInk, TestMy, Etc.) with similar results.  Every test showed substantial imporvements in speeds over the new firmware.

Here are the stats I have changing ONLY the firmware:

Firmware version V1.0.9.14_1.2.25 vice downgrading to V1.0.3.24_1.1_20

Firmware version    v1.0.9           versus       v1.0.3

DOWNLOAD SPEEDS:   234 MBPS        ->         356  MBPS

UPLOAD SPEEDS:         12.7 MBPS        ->         28.4  MBPS

NETGEAR, you need to address this... and fast...  this kind of degradation is absurd.  I understand the need for fixing security issues, and the potential for processing impacts, but a 35% down and 56% up reduction in performance is horrible.  Didn't your QA folks test this????  Don't you value your reputation in the market?

You need to revisit your firmware code and get this right.  This issue is all over the web and you are losing customers to other products from you competition.  If this isn't fixed soon, I am moving to another product as well and I'd bet others will to.  I have been a NETGEAR 'fan' for years, but not after this.  As your customers, we will soon see how much pride you have in your product... you need to own up to this and get it fixed.

Message 24 of 38
Highlighted
Initiate

The latest fix - V1.0.9.20_1.2.28 solved the speed problem for me.  But need to log in to the router, go to Qos, re-do the speed test to let it recognize the "normal" speed.  I also enabled Dynamic QoS and updated the Performance Optimization Database at the bottom of the QoS page.

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements