Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Slow Internet Speed Solved

i am having the exact issue with the R8000!!!!

Current firmware version.

line speed tests out at 300/300

Router sees line speed as 300/300

But real fast my connection will drop to less than 100mb wired or wireless!!!

i am going to try the changes suggestged with QOS and then if that fails the older firmware. This is obviously a known issue why the heck does NetGear not resolve this. What is the point of a router if it is going to cut your speed by a 1/3. Totally unacceptable and really makes me think about switching all my network hardware out with a different vendor

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 26 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

I have 100MB service and I am only getting 19 through this router. I downgraded the firmware to 1.0.3.24 and did a factory reset. It worked....for 2 days! It was at 112MB for 2 days. Now it's back to 19. I tried rebooting to factory settings and no change, still 19. I just need to know if this is fixable or do I need another brand of router? If I get an ASUS or D-Link, will I have this problem?

Message 27 of 38
Highlighted
Initiate

I see there are multiple posts regarding to speed going down after certain successful fix.  So I tried another speed test last night and I also encountered the same issue. 

I have 150MB plan, but I am getting around 20MB for download.  After that, I discover something that impacts the test result significantly - the server you are testing with!  Speed testing involves two servers, your own ISP and someone else.  I got the bad result when the other server was a third party service provider.  After I changed the other server to one of the big boys, I got my 150MB back. 

I don't have sufficient techinical knowledge to tell exactly what causes the difference.  Maybe it ends up something related to the router, maybe not.  Besides of all the firmware fixes, QoS, etc.  It may worth to give this a try before spending your money!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 28 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

I went through 2 more firmware downgrades and still nothing. As a last resort I actually physically unplugged the modem and router to reset them. That worked and my speed is back. I will see if it lasts longer than 2 days this time.
Message 29 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

My C6900 combo has the same degradation issue.  I recently returned a Motorola combo that did the same thing.  With the Motorola, I was able to pinpoint the specific day/time that the degradation would begin:  Sunday nights.  That coincided with the time that COX apparently sends "updates" to devices...for God knows what reason.  Still, the pre-installed firmware is the most current, so COX is not overriding that.  So the cause is either COX's "updates," or there is some cascade failure flaw in the firmware.  But if it is a firmware flaw, then degradation should occur regardless of COX's tinkering.  Yet, based on my observations, degradation corresponds to COX's scheduled "updates." 

To date, I haven't found any expert discussion on the possibility that ISPs are deliberately degrading our hardware...perhaps to create consumer dissatisfaction and force us into their "supported" rentals.  Hardware manufactures certainly would have no motive for making broken stuff, so it's hard to believe Netgear et. al. doesn't want to figure this out as much as we all do. 

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 30 of 38
Highlighted
Guide

Hey all, after spending almost 2 weeks cussing charter, netgear cat6e and the dogs. I’ve apparently not actually tried enabling QoS via Dynamic. I’ve always assigned by MAC address. But when I had done it on the r7000 it would cap my download speed to mirror the upload. Once I chose Dynamic, and did a speed/bufferbloat test through dslreports everything was perfect.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 31 of 38
Highlighted
Initiate

I agree with the posts on this - the issue is definitely not resolved.  I spent several weeks working with BT support for my FTTP 330mbs service - the line has been tested extensively... I've flashed back to previous firmware, the problem started for me around September 2017.   Going back to then brings line speed back up to 310mbs.  Anything since then, including BETAs drops to anywhere between 90 and 140 - and in some cases was incapable of supporting Netflix streaming. 

I've factory reset, and played with most of the settings... my guess is that either new security patches or firmware features are too much for it to handle.  I've now had to switch back to the BT SmartHub - which i hate, but at least it actually gives me the line speed i should have.   If Netgear could at least engage with us, it would be helpful - for my part i'm on the verge abandoning netgear, if only i could find an alternative i have confidence in.  

Message 32 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

I decided to replace the Nighthawk with an ASUS RT-66ACU-B1 3x3 router. I have had no issues so far with my speed dropping off. I’ve been using it about 3 weeks.
Message 33 of 38
Highlighted
Guide

Yea, it's crazy.  I've had this router for 5 years and never had any issues until i updated from 1.0.3.60 to 1.0.9.26.  I can't get anything but exact half of my download speed.  lol  maybe the power outage 2 weeks ago gave the router a Traumatic Brain Injury.

Message 34 of 38
Highlighted
Guide

*Update*

Testing the difference in QoS, has shown me that if i choose Advance QoS manual setup then my download will be limited to exactly the max speed of my upload lol.  Talk about wth.  I've been trying to stream some gameplay here recently just to see if i can.  But for some reason OBS can't keep a solid upload for the stream.  And I wondered if maybe it's due to the nighthawks firmware being goofy.

Message 35 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

I upgraded from 30mps to 200mps on Spectrum. However, my speed never changed when running Speedtest from the Speedtest website.  However, when I logged into the router and ran the speedtest from the Dynamic QoS tab I exceeded 200mps.  I unchecked Enable Dynamic QoS and Automatically update performance optimization database and retested my speed in another window from http://www.speedtest.net/ and I exceeded the 200mps.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 36 of 38
Highlighted
Guru

Revert back to what you had been using before the update...

@dokteriqwrote:

Upgraded to V1.0.9.12_1.2.23. Internet on Wired Connection is 250Mbps on wifi 5ghz its down to 40. It was around 220ish before the update.

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 37 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you!!! This worked  just perfect.

After the upgrade to the latest firmware version, my wireless download speed dropped to barely 2Mbps whereas upload did not make it to 500Kbps....Nest Thermostat connection wouldn't stop flapping and my Wemo products would not respond at all....it was driving me crazy.

Not sure it I should be happy because I found this or mad at Netgear for pushing such a crappy firmware, perhaps I can be both.

I installed the version recommended by the OP ( 1.0.3.24) and the router came back to normal...God, I missed so much having a decent speed.

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements