Highlighted
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk R7000: erratic performance during speed test

When I run internet speed tests using WiFi or wired ports I sometimes get erratic performance. Then I repeat the test and everything seems to be ok. I am pretty certain that the problem isn't in the cable modem or ISP. Sometimes I get a speed versus time chart that goes right up to 37 mbps and other times, it might be as low as 1.49 mbps or have a series of jagged peaks dropping down to near zero in between peaks finally reporting an average speed of 25 mbps.Any ideas on what the problem is or how to troubleshoot the problem further?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000: erratic performance during speed test

run the test on the modem several times in a row it should close each time.

Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Tutor

This answer failed to address my problem. I know that I can run the test multiple times. I was trying to say that each time I ran the test I got erratic bewhavior. Instead of a smooth performance across the test which runs around 20 to 30 seconds, I would see small peaks follwed by a drop down to near zero performance. I don't believe that this behavior appears when I bypass the Nighthawk router. It appears even when I connect via a cable to the router, so it has nothing to do with WiFi. I hae the test results but I don't see a way to attach them to this comment.

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@grfried wrote:

I don't believe that this behavior appears when I bypass the Nighthawk router. It appears even when I connect via a cable to the router, so it has nothing to do with WiFi.

You have to rule out the ISP, that's why I suggested testing the modem multiple times. What you're seeing is usually a ISP problem. Your failed to accept a suggestion based on your ignorance of the subject.

" I don't believe that this behavior appears when I bypass the Nighthawk router" This statement is BS and suggest you didn't bother testing the modem and are leaving an out incase it is a modem/ISP problem.

If you're so sure it's the router by a new one.

Good luck with it, I'm done.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements