Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk R7000P set-up help

MechShep
Initiate

Netgear Nighthawk R7000P set-up help

Hey everyone, 

I'm at my wits end with trying to get this set-up correctly.

I currently pay for 500mbps down and 50 up from WOW Internet. I have the CM700 Modem connected to the R7000P Nighthawk. Connecting my computer to the outgoing ports on the Nighthawk, I am getting like 480 down and 50-60 up (totally acceptable). But over wifi, I'm getting like 65 down and 40 up.

Details: 

Nighthawk Details

Firmware Version 
V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

Wi-fi Devices that I've speed tested on 

Asus Laptop 

Samsung Note8

Apple Iphone8

I'm decently technical, but not in the networking field, and at this point I'm willing to try just about anything. I just did a factory reset on the R7000p so there shouldn't be any strange settings or anything.

I can provide any more details as needed!

Thanks so much in advance, this has been a source of frustration for a few months now

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R7000P set-up help

Wifi speedtesting is a hard one because there are so many factors. These include wifi interference, channel congestion, device testing with (1:1 antenna, 2:2 antenna, chipset etc), housing materials, etc.

The R7000p has smart connect. Are you testing with this on? If your devices are connecting to the 2.4ghz band, you'll get slower speeds but better distances. You can try shutting it off and seperating our your SSID's, making sure you're connected on the 5ghz band for testing, and testing in the same room with the router/device. Depending on your device, this is the best way to test wireless as you know what band you're on, know there's no signal interference from house/distance, and can predict speeds a little bit if you know your devices wifi setup.

You can also try changing wireless channels. Do a wifi scan (free apps or PC scanners) to see what channels are least congested and try to choose them. 

Another thing to check into is QoS. When you get to the 500mbps-1gbps, QoS isn't really that necessary as there's plenty of bandwidth. try turning it off and seeing how it impacts your speeds. 

Give this options a try and let us know what happens.  

here's the support for your specific device page.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000P.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Wifi speedtesting is a hard one because there are so many factors. These include wifi interference, channel congestion, device testing with (1:1 antenna, 2:2 antenna, chipset etc), housing materials, etc.

The R7000p has smart connect. Are you testing with this on? If your devices are connecting to the 2.4ghz band, you'll get slower speeds but better distances. You can try shutting it off and seperating our your SSID's, making sure you're connected on the 5ghz band for testing, and testing in the same room with the router/device. Depending on your device, this is the best way to test wireless as you know what band you're on, know there's no signal interference from house/distance, and can predict speeds a little bit if you know your devices wifi setup.

You can also try changing wireless channels. Do a wifi scan (free apps or PC scanners) to see what channels are least congested and try to choose them. 

Another thing to check into is QoS. When you get to the 500mbps-1gbps, QoS isn't really that necessary as there's plenty of bandwidth. try turning it off and seeing how it impacts your speeds. 

Give this options a try and let us know what happens.  

here's the support for your specific device page.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7000P.aspx

Message 2 of 3
MechShep
Initiate

I checked all of those prior to factory reseting and it made no impact, but I just factory reset again, verified those were all off and actually went through the routerlogin.net set-up again, instead of the Mobile Application set-up and it is working as intended now. Interesting interactions..

I'm reading 350-400 now with 50ish up. Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7