Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk R8000 - LAN ports capped at 20mb??

I've only just realised after testing the speeds on my R8000 Lan ports from a Laptop and Xbox One X that for some reason the bandwidth seems to be capped at 20mb down and 20mb up, the lights show up as green/blue to show they are connected at gigabit. I have a 70mb down and 20mb up BT connection.  If I run speedtest from my iphone/iPad/Macbook on WiFi the results show over 60mb 100% of the time, now with every test I do on the cabled device via Lan it is always 20/20mb which would appear to be limited somewhere???

Has anyone experienced this and have a solution for me please? Could the LAN ports be faulty? I'm unaware what firmware this may have been caused by as I havent recently run a speedtest from a LAN device.  Thank you all in advance.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R8000 - LAN ports capped at 20mb??

Hi Kevvvo,

Check if QoS is enabled. If yes, try disabling it.

Message 2 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you I have now tried that and it seems to then allow speedtests to the full speed at 73mbps rather than be liited to 20mbs. is there a reason lan ports are limited due to the QOS, iPhones and other wireless devices seem fine and are not limited which i dont understand??

Surely this is a fault in the firmware?

Message 3 of 15
Highlighted
Guru

How were you testing the LAN ports. PC to PC or Speedtest from the internet? 

How did you have QOS configured fo the wireld devices you were having this problem with? 

If you were speed testing from the internet, QoS will impact how speeds are tested depending on how QoS is configured. If the priority is too limiting then the speeds will be slower. 

@Kevvvowrote:

I've only just realised after testing the speeds on my R8000 Lan ports from a Laptop and Xbox One X that for some reason the bandwidth seems to be capped at 20mb down and 20mb up, the lights show up as green/blue to show they are connected at gigabit. I have a 70mb down and 20mb up BT connection.  If I run speedtest from my iphone/iPad/Macbook on WiFi the results show over 60mb 100% of the time, now with every test I do on the cabled device via Lan it is always 20/20mb which would appear to be limited somewhere???

Has anyone experienced this and have a solution for me please? Could the LAN ports be faulty? I'm unaware what firmware this may have been caused by as I havent recently run a speedtest from a LAN device.  Thank you all in advance.

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ive been speed testing from speedtest.net, I dont see anyway or where to configure the LAN ports for the R8000 model. in advanced setup for the QOS it allows me to set up priorities like medium, high and highest etc but thats about as much as it gives.  Neither seem to effect the speed test result from 20mb. If I lower the iPhones priority the speed test results still give me the full 73mb.  I'm i missing a load of settings somewhere?

Thank you.

Message 5 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes very frustrating and has to be a design flaw, I cant see anyway around stopping this happening while using the LAN ports other than turning off QOS which shouldnt be the case. There doesnt seem to be anywhere in any of the settings to manage this and to adjust speeds via the LAN ports.  I am pretty sure this has not been the case since I purchased the router 3 years ago and maybe only happened within the last few Firmware updates?

Message 6 of 15
Highlighted
Guru

Can you use this tool to see what your actually getting on the LAN ports and WAN port if you have two windows PCs? 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/router-wan-to-lan-throughput-test.html

I would revert back to last known working version of FW for your model router and test as well...

@Kevvvowrote:

Yes very frustrating and has to be a design flaw, I cant see anyway around stopping this happening while using the LAN ports other than turning off QOS which shouldnt be the case. There doesnt seem to be anywhere in any of the settings to manage this and to adjust speeds via the LAN ports.  I am pretty sure this has not been the case since I purchased the router 3 years ago and maybe only happened within the last few Firmware updates?

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 7 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've tried a couple more things and I since noticed that because I have also had Disney circle that is now built into the netgear running this also tends to slow the LAN ports down?  Has anyone tried testing this with Disney circle on to see if they also get a slow down on the Lan ports?

Message 8 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for this, I understand the performance hit but surely it shouldnt be purely the LAN ports that are slowed down. All wireless speed test are maximum performance 70/20mb, its just all 4 LAN ports are reduced to 20mb/20mb which surely shouldnt be the case?

Message 9 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ok thanks for the info, but this doesnt relate to my issue though, as I get the maximum bandwidth available to me through the netgear. Just not when QOS or Circle is switched on.

So they give you features but take away speed on the LAN ports ONLY.

Message 10 of 15
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Kevvvo,

Please confirm.

1. If QoS is off and Disney is On, LAN speed is slow.

2. If QoS is ON and Disney is Off, LAN speed is still slow.

3. When both QoS and Disney is Off, LAN speed is normal.

Message 11 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

That is spot on! Yes to all 3.
Message 12 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

Did you get any further with this?

@JamesGLwrote:

Hi Kevvvo,

Please confirm.

1. If QoS is off and Disney is On, LAN speed is slow.

2. If QoS is ON and Disney is Off, LAN speed is still slow.

3. When both QoS and Disney is Off, LAN speed is normal.

Message 13 of 15
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@Case850 et al.

Hang in there, Kelvvvo. I assume you are running newer firmware, at least v. 1.0.4.xx.xxx which includes Cirlce implementation. ]

In addition to all three conditions above, I assume that if both QoS and Circle is on , your LAN speed will be also reduced.

Just one day ago, I received personal email from Netgear PM, reaching out to me after awhile (quite not surprising, but pleasantly be connected again with him), lettting me know of the new beta firmware, that they have been working on silently for past 2 months, based on

what we postulated the root cause of all crashing, not only on this model but perhaps other ones too. 

So, I am running it for this week and next week with stress test also. So far, it is promising. I am starting to gain back the trust on Netgear, but only starting point....

Please be patient....

Best Regards.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 15
Highlighted
Aspirant

@TerryPhwrote:

@Case850 et al.

Hang in there, Kelvvvo. I assume you are running newer firmware, at least v. 1.0.4.xx.xxx which includes Cirlce implementation. ]

In addition to all three conditions above, I assume that if both QoS and Circle is on , your LAN speed will be also reduced.

Just one day ago, I received personal email from Netgear PM, reaching out to me after awhile (quite not surprising, but pleasantly be connected again with him), lettting me know of the new beta firmware, that they have been working on silently for past 2 months, based on

what we postulated the root cause of all crashing, not only on this model but perhaps other ones too. 

So, I am running it for this week and next week with stress test also. So far, it is promising. I am starting to gain back the trust on Netgear, but only starting point....

Please be patient....

Best Regards.

Thank you very much for the update, I appreciate your feedback and time.  Hopefully I can start to use these features with no lan slow down at somepoint in the near future.

Message 15 of 15