Highlighted
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6 AC3200 - SLOW speed over wifi - Ethernet OK

My Nighthawk X6/R8000 router has slow Wi-Fi download speeds.

I have Cox Gigablast Internet which tests around 920 Mbit/s typically.   My network configuration has a Netgear Genie C7800 DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem/router as the primary connection to the Internet at the wiring closet in my garage.  The output of the cable modem/router is connected to a couple devices directly and to a Netgear switch which feeds several other devices including another Netgear switch inside the house near my TV.

The second switch feeds my UHD TV and Apple TV, plus the Nighthawk X6/R8000 which is configured in AP mode.  The router has the latest firmware which is: V1.0.4.28_10.1.54.

I'm using a Macbook Pro to test the Ethernet ports/cables off the switch by the TV.  All the ports/cables test in the 900 Mbit/s range, including the cable that feeds the Nighthawk X6.  When I do a speed test of the wired ports on the Nighthawk X6/R8000 router I also get speeds in the 900 Mbit/s range, maybe a smidge less.

The Wi-Fi download speed tests on the other hand are quite slow - in the range of 25-30 Mbit/s.  The upload speeds are also in the range of 25-30 Mbit/s which is much closer to the 35 Mbit/s upload speed Cox Gigablast provides.

I reset the X6 to factory defaults and reconfigured as an AP just to clear out any weird settings and retested but got the same results.  Speeds are same slow results for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

We live on a large parcel with other large parcels around us so there aren't other hot spots around us that would be causing interference - and I've configured the channels to be different than the few hot spots that do show up on my scanner.

In contrast the Netgear Genie C7800's Wi-Fi speeds are several hundred Mbit/s and the 5 GHz band is closer to the 900 Mbit/s speeds delivered by the cable.  So I know my laptop is capable of speed testing much faster than what I'm getting out of the X6/R8000.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R8000 X6 AC3200 - SLOW speed over wifi - Ethernet OK

Do you have the C7800 and R8000 active on the network at the same time?

With that internet speed, it makes sense to disable QoS, if it is active.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes.  Sorry if it wasn't clear in the posting.  The C7800 is the cable modem/router that connects to Cox.  It also has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi hot spots running but on different channels than the R8000 which on the other side of the house.  I did try disabling the radio on the C7800 too but that did not make a difference in the R8000's Wi-Fi download speeds.

QoS is disabled throughout my network.

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted

@E634Me wrote:

The C7800 is the cable modem/router that connects to Cox.  It also has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi hot spots running but on different channels than the R8000 which on the other side of the house. 

This means that you have two routers on your network. That could cause your problems.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts. To avoid that you may need to set the routers up with the right DHCP and IP address settings.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Sometimes it is possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply customers with a modem/router that just won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the device to cooperate, but sometimes it is just easier to put the second router in AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I did try disabling the radio on the C7800 too but that did not make a difference in the R8000's Wi-Fi download speeds.

Disabling the radio does not turn off the modem's router.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Again, sorry if it wasn't clear in the original post.  The X6/R8000 is set to AP mode.  The router funtionality of the R8000 is turned off.  It is essentially acting like an Access Point with integrated Ethernet switch.

The download speed through the Ethernet ports of the device is good, it is only the Wi-Fi download speeds on either band that are bad.

I should add, that at one point in time, the download speeds were OK - but that was before I had upgraded to the 1 Gbit/s Gigablast service.  Previously I had 200 Mbit/s service and the R8000 was doing over 100 Mbit/s as I recall.  Can't say for sure though as I hadn't tested it in a while.

It was only after the upgrade to the 1 Gbit/s service and didn't seem like I was seeing the full speed on my laptop that I retested.

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

Solved problem by upgrading to Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD access points and getting rid of the Nighthawk.

Speed tests now run close to 900 Mbit/s on the 5 GHz AP.

Replacing the other Netgear items in the network too with better more configurable products that have better customer support.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements