Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk R8000 updated firmware and I get error messages when trying to open a webpage

Sarge34
Guide

Netgear Nighthawk R8000 updated firmware and I get error messages when trying to open a webpage

I just updated the firmware of my router yesterday.  Prior to the update, I was not have connectivity problems.  Now, using Chrome, I try to open a webpage and I get this message, This site can’t be reached

247sports.com’s server IP address could not be found.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy, firewall, and DNS configuration
  • Running Windows Network Diagnostics
    ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

When I run the Windows Network Diagnostics, I get the following message.

Your DNS server might be unavailable
    Detected
    Detected
    Windows can’t find the host name "www.downloads.netgear.com" using DNS.
    Contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider
    Completed
    The DNS server may be experiencing problems. Windows Help and Support can provide more information about DNS.

If I wait 10-15 seconds or refresh the page, it might open.  

I contacted me ISP who did troubleshooting on their end, and they suggested it could be the router.  I've unplugged the router, waited a minutes and plugged it back in.  I've cleared the history in Chrome and this did not solve the problem.  I am having the same issues on two other laptops.  

Does anyone know how I can fix this?  Thank you in advance.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R8000 updated firmware and I get error messages when trying to open a webpage

let me know if it works

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R8000 updated firmware and I get error messages when trying to open a webpage

What version of the firmware are you on? 

Theres been some dns issues on the later version (or 2). 

Try installing version 1.0.4.68 and see if it works. 

Message 2 of 9

@Sarge34 wrote:

I just updated the firmware of my router yesterday.  

Which version did you update to? You don't say. A new one landed yesterday:

R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.76 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you relied on the automated process to update, it may not have found the new one

Message 3 of 9
Sarge34
Guide

It updated to V. 1.0.4.76

Message 4 of 9
Sarge34
Guide

Thank you for the message.  It updated to V. 1.0.4.76.  I will take your advice and try installed an older version.  Thank you again for the message.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

let me know if it works

Message 6 of 9
Sarge34
Guide

Thank you again for your help.  I was able to install a previous version (1.0.4.68) and the router is working just fine!

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

glad to hear it!

Message 8 of 9
Icecat5055
Guide

I am also experiencing the same issue, I will get the "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" error over and over again intermittently. I have never experienced dns issues until these recent firmware updates: 1.0.4.74, and the most recent version 1.0.4.76. Sometimes the website will never load causing some chaos with my online college classes. 

I will roll back to firmware 1.0.4.68 and see if that helps. My only concern are these vulnerabilities that have been recently exposed on older firmware. This is the whole reason I updated in the first place. See this article for an example of what made me update….

https://www.pcmag.com/news/thanks-to-disney-11-netgear-routers-need-to-be-patched-immediately

Is there a way to get this info directly to the dev team? This is a huge issue that needs to be fixed immediately. I know I am not the only person experiencing these issues, other forum users have expressed their concerns as well. From a security standpoint we can’t update our routers to old much more vulnerable software versions. This is completely unacceptable.

Note: Facebook and Instagram are both down right now due to other DNS issues?? What is going on?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7