Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R8000P Firmware Update

LOISLANE
Initiate

Netgear Nighthawk R8000P Firmware Update

Firmware not updating manually nor via router web check option. Nighthawk R8000P Current Firmware Version: 1.4.1.50 Update Firmware Version: 1.4.1.62 I have attempted to update the firmware via the Router web app option when I select check for update the return message is no new update. However, there is a new firmware update. When I attempt to do it manually nothing happens even after a manual reboot of the router.
Message 1 of 47

Accepted Solutions
jmr33
Initiate

I also was unable to update router firmware with the Nighthawk App, it would go for about 2 minutes, then fail, saying to "Try Again" later, which never worked. But it succeeded when I used a browser (FireFox) to 192.168.1.1 and chased it down that way.

View solution in original post

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 47 of 47

All Replies
dvs_xerxes
Guide

I have the same problem, Firmware verison still shows V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 after after doing a manual update of V1.4.1.62_1.3.22.

Ive tried doing a factory reset then updating, but it still doesnt show that it was updated.

Message 2 of 47
kye4u2
Initiate

I have the same issue.  I've attempted to manually upgrade to 1.4.1.62 from V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 but it still continues to display V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

Message 3 of 47
PCorn
Tutor

Same problem here - in a way, im glad to know i'm not alone - even though it's still not a good situation..

Message 4 of 47
JMitchem
Initiate

I am having the same issue. attempted to the manual update several times with/without connection to internet/after reboot, no change. Still showing ver. 1.4.1.50.

Message 5 of 47

Start of my workday, wife and I are both working from home today.  I'll test this evening and post my results.  

Message 6 of 47
malssid
Star

Same issue. It's actually causing packet loss on my internet by not having my router updated. Too bad netgear wants to charge me $80 **bleep**ing dollars to give me tech support. **bleep** that **bleep**.

Message 7 of 47

Sorry for the delay.  New FW uploaded.  No issues here.  

Was no different than any other upgrade.  I didn't reboot or do anything special. Manual update from a system connected via ethernet.  

1.4.1.62_1.3.22

Going to perfom my usual basic functionality tests now.

Message 8 of 47

Streaming 5G on 1.4.1.62_1.3.22 all day.  TV, XBox, Phones, several laptops...

Wireless performance is extremely stable. 

Tested DynDNS

Emailing Logs

NTP

IPv6 Support

Connection to EX7000 extender also solid

All looks good.  Pleased with the update.

Message 9 of 47
malssid
Star

Weird. Updating my firmware still doesn't change the version for me.

Message 10 of 47

Greetings,

You are unzipping the file right?  ..  and pointing to the file ending in .chk?

Are you updating manually, and from a device connected via ethernet?

After browse to and upload..  Does the progress bar move from left to right...  then the router should restart on its own.  Took me roughly 2 min.  Try from a different browser.

Message 11 of 47
malssid
Star

YEP, unzipping it, pointing to the .chk file and doing it manually from my ethernet connected computer!

Message 12 of 47
dvs_xerxes
Guide

I still have no luck, I tried it again with the router with all devices diconected including modem. and only had a laptop only connected via ethernet by port 1 it self to do the update. I even try doing a factor reset too before updating. The router would go through the motions of acepting the update with the chk file, progress bar moves to the right, get message its rebooting.. But afterwards it still shows that V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 is running.

Message 13 of 47

Greetings,

Using TFTP is another option for firmware update.  This is normally used for recovery, but you can perform an upgrade/downgrade as well.

Netgear Windows TFTP 

Message 14 of 47
dvs_xerxes
Guide

I tried to do the TFTP method  today using the 

windows tftp method 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

and the tftp client method. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

both methods failed and my router is still running version 1.4.150_1.3.10

I also notice that there is a discrepency on step 6 of the second method(client tftp) "Turn router OFF for 10 seconds and then turn it back ON." and on step 7 and 8 of the first method windows 10  tftp client. (Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip and Power ON the router while holding down the reset button." 

I tried each method and it didnt work.. On a side note I was able to back up and restore my configuration settings using the routterlogin.net webpage, so i know that my web browser is working uploding a file just fine. 

Message 15 of 47
AndreCarraretto
Aspirant

I was able to upgrade normally as I had already moved from 1.4.1.50 -> 1.4.1.56 (beta). From 1.4.1.56 to 1.4.1.62 was a normal (no errors) upgrade.

Message 16 of 47

@AndreCarraretto wrote:

I was able to upgrade normally as I had already moved from 1.4.1.50 -> 1.4.1.56 (beta). From 1.4.1.56 to 1.4.1.62 was a normal (no errors) upgrade.

Same for me as you already know.  

Message 17 of 47

I've escalated this topic to the moderators for investigation.

Message 18 of 47
DR650SE
Guide

This is such garbage on Netgears behalf.  Why is this problem not solved and Why has Netgear refused to comment?  The current firmware cuts my speed in HALF from what I should be getting and has serious QoS issues!

Message 19 of 47
malssid
Star

Problem STILL not solved. Honestly **bleep** netgear and their **bleep** customer support. I can't update manually or automatically to the latest firmware. My router is bricked.

Message 20 of 47
melgo
Aspirant

Late to the party on this but here's my experience:

Did the update through the NightHawk app. Got update error message and pushed the "Try Again" button. What was curious is that even though my Wi-Fi network still displayed on my devices, the network connection failed. 

I waited at least an hour to make sure the download and update was complete. However the router never booted. Last time I updated this router, it bricked and I had to to the manual update with this procedure.

Thought I had to do it again so I took the chance to turn off the router, leaving it plugged in. Waited 10 seconds and turn back on via the push switch. Waited for the amber light to stay on but it fully rebooted and the version displays the latest firmware, 1.4.1.64 (see attached). 

I feel like I just dodged a big bullet. Just sharing a story and hopefully this incident could be replicable.

Message 21 of 47

Greetings,

You may have.  Several users have now reported an inability to upgrade.  1.4.1.50 > 1.4.1.62

We haven't heard much about the 1.4.1.64 which I just uploaded successfully.  I was not affected by the issues and have used every FW version since 1.4.1.24.

My cusory tests of 1.4.1.64 all passed

Will evaluate wireless performance and stability today.  

Wired appears fine.

1_4_1_64.png

Message 22 of 47
DR650SE
Guide

Thanks for the notice.  I've logged into my Router and it's stating there is a firmware update available.  Tried to update via the routers browser and that does NOT work.  Tried via uploading the file as well as TFTP and those methods do not work either.

Netgear has agreed to RMA my router.  However, My options are

A:  Send the Router back, Netgear will send me a replacement once they recieve my router.

B.  Pay $16.90 for Netgear to send me a product and a prepaid shiping label.

I don't want to come across as a "Karen" or "Chad", but my item is still within the 90 warranty period.  Why should I have to pay to replace an item that Netgear has determined is defective?  And during a COVID environment, where me and my wife are working from home, and my kids are doing schooling online, I can't afford to wait for Shipping of my device there and back.  Who knows how long that downtime will be.  I sent a resonse requesting the fee be waived.  I hope I'm not coming across as unreasonable in this.  I try to remain respectful.

My other option is to Return the R8000P to Best Buy where I purchased the extended warranty.  However I hesitate to do that because I had an R7000P that I purchased, and that had a physicall broken antenna.  Well the Best Buy warrenty replaced that.  The next R7000p worked for a year until it started kicking everything off my network.  So under the Best Buy warranty I decided to upgrade to the R8000P, which has been solid, but will NOT update firmware to patch security issues.  Working from home, I need ensure my data, and my works information is safeguarded.  Am I being crazy?

/rant

DESCRIPTION CHARGE

Standard Swap Exchange - (North America only)

This shipping option allows you to return the defective unit to the RMA fulfillment center. As soon as the fulfillment center receives the defective product, a replacement unit is shipped out in one business day via ground services. Customers are responsible for the shipping charges when shipping the unit back to NETGEAR. We suggest using a carrier that provides tracking information. NETGEAR is not responsible for packages lost in transit to NETGEAR. The replacement product is shipped by ground with shipping charges prepaid.

Free of charge

Advance Ground - Home Products - (North America only)

The RMA fulfillment center will ship the replacement unit via ground before receipt of defective item, based on product availability. Your order must be received before 6 PM Eastern Standard Time. A prepaid shipping label will be included with your replacement unit. You will be charged a flat fee of $16.90 for Home Products and $19.90 for Business Products for this service option. You must return the failed product to the RMA fulfillment center within 10 business days of receiving the product. If you fail to return the product within 10 business days, you will be billed the current list price.

USD 16.90

Advance Next Business Day - Home Products - (North America only)

For extra cost, Advance Priority allows you to receive the replacement unit the next business day, based on product availability. Your RMA number must be issued before 7 PM Eastern Standard Time. Along with the replacement unit, a prepaid shipping label will be included. Use the prepaid shipping label to return the defective product to the RMA fulfillment center. You must return the defective product within 10 business days of receipt of replacement product. If you fail to return the product within 10 business days, you will be billed the current list price. When your replacement part is shipped, your credit card will be charged for the amount below. You will be charged a flat fee of $29.90 for Home Products and $49.90 for Business Products for this service option.

USD 29.90
Message 23 of 47
DR650SE
Guide

Well, Netgear came through.  I've processed the RMA, and they have agreed to waive the shipping.  Thanks Netgear!  Glad I caught this during the warranty period.

Message 24 of 47
PCorn
Tutor

dang - i should have stuck to my guns then, i paid the 17.00 fee to have them ship me a replacement first  - im just glad it fell under the warrenty as well... but what is going to happed when the next firmware fails and we have warrenty left ?

it's kinda crappy that a hardware failure is preventing an otherwise operation unit to not be able to update the firmware - seems to me more of a firmware problem - it's also kinda crappy that a lot of people have bricked thier routers through no fault of their own by just trying to update the firmware using the instructions provided from Netgear in the first place...

make me kinda go... "hmmmmmmmmmmmm ... what will be the brand of router i will but when i'm ready to upgrade again ??"

Message 25 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7