Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R8000P Firmware Update

DR650SE
Guide

Well, I recieved my RMA replacement unit today (R8000P Nighthawk X6S). I plugged it into my computer before attaching it to the network. It was on firmware version V1.4.1.42 out of the box.

I logged into 192.168.1.1, went to advanced> administration > Router update. I used the browse function to pick up the firmware file I downloaded, and ran the update from there to the latest version V1.4.1.64 and it worked on the first try. I swapped it with my unit on the network, and all is working great. Here's to hoping future firmware updates work. My non updating firmware unit will be shipped back to the Netgear RMA site tomorrow. Maybe the engineers can study it and figure this mess out.

Hopefully my saga will help somone in the future. If you're in the 90 warranty period, be calm on the phone, and kindly request the return fee be waived. If your in the 90day period, chances are you can get it waived if you treat the person with respect. A good attitude goes a long way, although it can be a very frustrating experience.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 47

Greetings,

I think you were one of the lucky ones who was still under 90 day support.  The 7-8 users on the previous page may not hve this recourse.  There were only 2 of us that reported success.  Its unfortunate because these types of issues can sour a consumers trust.

Glad you got yours resolved.

Message 27 of 47
Alix9112
Star

Did Netgear say what the hardware issue was that required an RMA?

Message 28 of 47
Alix9112
Star

So if the device won't upgrade outside of 90 days, you are toast?

Message 29 of 47
Noob1949
Aspirant

I am a post-90 day owner whose Netgear R8000P will not upgrade to the latest firmware. BTW, for those of you who report a successful firmware upgrade, let me warn you. When I run the firmware upgrade on my R8000P it goes through the motions of upgrading the firmware, and the only way to see that it did not is to notice that the version of the firmware you are running is unchanged. I think somebody hacked by router. It somehow became "unsecured" and my login info no longer worked. Neither did my security questions. Before someone asks, no, I did not leave the password at the default "password." The problem with the old firmware is that it suffers from security bugs. If you go to Tom's hardware and look for Netgear security, you can find a long article written in June 2020 about the vulnerability. Also, BTW, my wifi speed was in the crapper. That was what led me to investigate in the first place.

Message 30 of 47
PCorn
Tutor

once you realized you had been hacked - did you factory default your router ?

I would contact Netgear directly and let them know what happened , maybe they will make an exception and replace your router.

Some people seem to have success when they stood thier ground and didn't back down... sux they had to do that though..

Message 31 of 47
Noob1949
Aspirant

Yes, I restored factory defaults and set it up all over again. That is when I discovered it would not update the firmware.

Message 32 of 47
Dezldad
Aspirant

So for those of us outside the 90 day warranty period (I'm +-120 days), is our only option to buy a new router?  Has anyone outside the warranty period successfully gotten any help from Netgear?

Message 33 of 47
ravenskie
Aspirant

Having the same firmware upgrade problem on my Nighthawk R8000P as others reporting. Trying to upgrade from 1.4.1.50 -> 1.4.1.66_1.3.26

Continues to show my current firmware version as V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

Any ideas on how to fix this? Not super excited about running on a firmware version with a know security vulnerability. I had the same problem one person reported where my router stopped working and all the admin passwords got reset, like it had been factory reset. At that point I couldn't do anything with it so I factory reset it manually and thats how I ended up here. 

Message 34 of 47
RDel90
Tutor

I'm also not able to upgrage the firmware. Stuck on 1.4.1.50. Tried factory reset, update via app, hardwired login update via routerlogin, and even manually uploading the firmware file. Nothing worked.

My router also often drops internet connection when I am browsing and reconnects 15-20 seconds later (sometimes I have to manually reconnect computer to wireless).  I bought the router on 8/15/20. I just got off the phone with tech support and also informed them of this thread with the ongoing issue. They said they will "offer me a call back while they investigate the issue." I am beyond frustrated with this router and Netgear's minimal support without having to buy a service contract.

Message 35 of 47
lazyumpire
Aspirant

Hey all,

Same issue with my R8000P. I’ve been a Netgear user for years but this is about to make me jump ship.
Message 36 of 47
JMitchem
Initiate

I've always had Linksys in the past. This was my first netgear and also more than triple the price of what I've had in the past. So disappointed. I'm waiting for the next firmware update to see if it will work. If not, I guess I'll just run it with this for a year then get another linksys.
Message 37 of 47
Asjemeou
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the same issues as most of you, current version is 1.4.1.50_1.3.10 and whatever I try I wont get it update.

I have downloaded the older version and tried it in steps:
R8000P-1.4.1.62_1.3.22.chk

R8000P-1.4.1.66_1.3.26.chk

R8000P-1.4.1.68_1.3.28.chk

What I notrieced it that it doesn't load the complete firmware, after about 60% it reboots.

Tried it on Chrome and FireFix without any results.

What more can I do?

Message 38 of 47
RDel90
Tutor

I am now going on 3 weeks with an open support ticket with Netgear with no response. I have sent 2 follow up asking for an update but have not even been acknowledged. 

This is the worst customer support ever. Will never buy Netgear products again. 

Message 39 of 47
Asjemeou
Aspirant

Yeah I agree....last one due to lack of service.

Message 40 of 47
RDel90
Tutor

Thanks to a moderator escalating my case I actually received a call back. Support had me try to manually install the latest firmware update with no success again and then finally issued me a RMA to exchange the unit.

I couldn’t get them to waive the expediting fee though as I need the router to be able to work from home office.
Message 41 of 47
pdy
Initiate
Initiate

Hi

I am having the same issue discribed in this thread.  My Nighthawk R8000P shows firmware: V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 and "A router firmware upgrade is available" in the GUI.  As others discribe, the Firmware Update Assistant does return availability:

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware? (Yes) (No)
Current GUI Language Version:1.4.1.50_2.1.46.1
New GUI Language Version:1.4.1.66_2.1.46.1
Current Firmware Version1.4.1.50
New Firmware Version

1.4.1.68_1.3.28

However, selecting 'Yes' returns 'Failure' for the GUI Language update and returns to the 'Internet Setup' screen.

I have also attempted the manual Router Update process by browsing to the downloaded R8000P-V1.4.1.68_1.3.28.chk file.  The process appears to complete with reboot of router, but the Firmware version remains as V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 and "A router firmware upgrade is available" in the GUI.  I have attempted this process in 3 browsers.

Is there any hope here, or are these units just defective?

Thanks...

Message 42 of 47
RDel90
Tutor

Netgear finally gave me a return authorization. I’ll receive the new unit on Monday 1/25 and will update if it has the same issues or not.
Message 43 of 47
RDel90
Tutor

So I paid the expediting fee and received the replacement router today (1/25). I was a little disappointed that is was a 'certified refurbished' unit. If a $300 electronic device has issues, it should at least be replaced by a new unit (especially if you only offer 3 months of technical support before you make customers buy a service package to get tech support over the phone after the first 3 months).

Anyways, install was a PITA through the Nighthawk app which I tried first. Went pretty smoothly when I hardwired my laptop. Unit came with the .62 Firmware. After setup, I I was able to upgrade the firmware to the .68 while hardwired with no problems. Seems to be running smoothly so far. End of the day, looks like it was in fact a defective unit. 

We'll see how long it takes before this refurb unit has issues. I'll keep it running until then. But if it starts acting up, I won't hesitate to replace it with something else.  

Message 44 of 47
sghost42
Initiate

I am having this problem updating to the latest firmware.

Currently at: V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

Trying to go to: 1.4.1.68_1.3.28

I called support, post 90 days.  Was told I get 1 free issue, then I would have to pay.   

I did the following over the phone with the tech:

1.  Use firmware assistant to install - FAILED

2.  Manually install the firmware (chk file) - FAILED

Factory reset the unit

3.  Use firmware assistant to install - FAILED

4.  Manually install the firmware (chk file) - FAILED

Was told this is a known firmware issue that is being worked on and expect to have a new firmware in a couple days.  Not expecting much, but still have the case open.   

Message 45 of 47
LOISLANE
Initiate

I gave up on the R8000P router the router is vulnerable to hack ect.. due to the lack of the security firmware patches.  I upgraded to the AX8 WiFi 6.

Message 46 of 47
jmr33
Initiate

I also was unable to update router firmware with the Nighthawk App, it would go for about 2 minutes, then fail, saying to "Try Again" later, which never worked. But it succeeded when I used a browser (FireFox) to 192.168.1.1 and chased it down that way.

Message 47 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7