Scott_K
Guide

Netgear Nighthawk R9000 and Mitel 5320 voip phone

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R9000 that has been causing me some problems with not being able to get IP addresses.  I completely reset it a few days ago and it has been functioning well enough since then.  The problem I am having is that I can no longer get my work phones going.  My wife and I both have Mitel 5320 voip phones and neither one will connect.  Both have a message saying DHCP Discovery showing on the screen and that's it.  These phones have worked flawlessly for the six months that I've had this router and just started acting up after my last reset.  Before this, I did nothing to make them work.  They just worked when plugged in.

Are there any suggestions on settings that might fix this?  I really do need my work phone available.  They're not happy with my "call me on my cell" suggestion.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
Maddmann
Tutor

Re: Netgear Nighthawk R9000 and Mitel 5320 voip phone

My wife had the same issue with her phone. After the firmware upgrade, the phone would be stuck in "Discovery" mode. I could not find anything stating that it was dropping DHCP requests but I never saw them when doing a packet capture.  I ended up having to downgrade from version 1.0.5.2 and going with 1.0.4.34. After going back to the old firmware the phone instantly worked.

Message 2 of 16
Scott_K
Guide

Does Netgear know about this issue?  I want to let them know, but I can't seem to find a way to contact them if I don't pay for one of their support solutions.  Unless I'm missing something obvious, support on this product is terrible.

Message 3 of 16
Maddmann
Tutor

I'm not sure if they know or not. I also was not able to find where to contact them about the issue.

Message 4 of 16
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

I will escalate this issue to the engineers.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 16
rar0331
Tutor

I reported this to netgear on a RAX120 3 months ago.  I was told it would be escalated to engineering.   I have not heard anything back from them, the router is now dropping out when running the older version of firmware, and I have no phone support as of last week.

Message 6 of 16
Gadareth
Initiate

I am having a similar issue my Mitel 5330 phone is stuck on DHCP : Discovery when attached directly via wire to the router. Is there any soloution yet to this issue ?

Message 7 of 16
Scott_K
Guide

No.  In fact I had another round of the router no longer allowing connections and having to reset it and set it up, and I noticed that there was a new firmware.  I updated the firmware and still no go.  I have had to give everyone who calls me at my company my cell number.  I have Internal IT checking in with me almost every week, wondering why my phone is not connecting.  

This router is garbage.  I have had to reset and set up 11 times since I got it.  The last time was just this past Sunday.  Tech support at Netgear is ridiculous.  The only support I could find was paid, even though I've had this router for less than a year.  I am not going to pay for support on a consumer product that I have had for less than a year.

I'm moving on.  I'm not sure to what yet, but it's not going to be a Netgear product.

Message 8 of 16
slundeen
Initiate

I JUST bought my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 to replace my Nighthawk R7000.  Since connecting my Mitel 5320 IP Desk Phone to the LAN on the new router, the phone is unable to find the IP address and stuck on Discovery on the display panel.  I was shocked to find this posting that this is a KNOWN issue since November of 2019.  4 months later, there is no fix for this, and you are still selling the product without posting this as an issue. 

I see you posted that this was going to be escalated, yet there is no further communication on the availability of a fix being provided to your consumers. 

I would like to know if you have an available updated firmware to correct this issue, or when we can expect to have it available for full usage of your product.  

Please respond and offer a solution to this issue, instead of leaving it unresolved for so many of us experiencing the same issue. 

@DarrenM wrote:

DarrenM

Message 9 of 16
Maddmann
Tutor

I agree. It has been a while now with no new update from the engineers on the issue. As of now, I am still running the firmware from my previous post. 

Message 10 of 16
Gadareth
Initiate

It would be nice to see a offical response.

Message 11 of 16
SScandy
Luminary

@slundeen wrote:

I JUST bought my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 to replace my Nighthawk R7000.  Since connecting my Mitel 5320 IP Desk Phone to the LAN on the new router, the phone is unable to find the IP address and stuck on Discovery on the display panel.  I was shocked to find this posting that this is a KNOWN issue since November of 2019.  4 months later, there is no fix for this, and you are still selling the product without posting this as an issue. 

I see you posted that this was going to be escalated, yet there is no further communication on the availability of a fix being provided to your consumers. 

I would like to know if you have an available updated firmware to correct this issue, or when we can expect to have it available for full usage of your product.  

Please respond and offer a solution to this issue, instead of leaving it unresolved for so many of us experiencing the same issue. 

@DarrenM wrote:

DarrenM

My advice is to return the router while you still have the opportunity. My first inclination was to return my R9000 because of dropping connections and other issues. I got faked out by thinking that the isssues would be solved by firmware updates, but the firmware updates have caused many more new problems. I wish I had returned it when I had the chance.

Message 12 of 16
Scott_K
Guide

@SScandy wrote:

@slundeen wrote:

@DarrenM wrote:

DarrenM

My advice is to return the router while you still have the opportunity. My first inclination was to return my R9000 because of dropping connections and other issues. I got faked out by thinking that the isssues would be solved by firmware updates, but the firmware updates have caused many more new problems. I wish I had returned it when I had the chance.

Returning this terrible router is the best advice you are going to get.  I bought this less than a year ago and it died back toward the end of January.  And before it died, it was having serious connectivity issues and problems with staying connected to my various devices.  I was unable to get in touch with Netgear through regular channels, so I left them a poor review on Amazon.  They gave me contact information.  I put together all of the info that they were looking for and sent it to them and they never responded.

I bought a new ASUS router.  As soon as I hooked it up, my two Mitel phones started working again.  My employers were starting to get annoyed at having to call me at home all the time, so it is a good thing that it finally started working again.

I will never buy another Netgear router.  This was a very expensive router when I bought it and it never worked well.

Get out while you can.  There are much better routers out there.  The only thing that is good about this thing is that it looks kind of cool.

Message 13 of 16
UtahTech2020
Aspirant

Has anyone hear anything back on this issue. I to have a Mitel 53xx IP phone. I am actually getting my phone up and running, however the people I am calling are not hearing my voice, but I can hear their voice. The following is what I've done up to this point:

Nighthawk R7000 VoIP Outgoing Voice
I am working to get a Mitel IP Phone working. I can hear the voice on the other end, but I cannot be heard. I have all the port settings correct on my Corp FW. Initally, I could hear the dialtone but once a call was connected ALL audio went dead. I then:

- DIsabled QoS

- Added the (static IP) to the DMZ

- Disabled Port Scanning

- Placed the Static IP address of the phone into the DMZ

- Disabled SIP ALG

- Added Ports (a little over-kill) 69,1118,3998-4000,5060-5061,6604-7093,16384-32767,44000,50090-50508

Now all is working EXCEPT the outbound voice. Like I said, I have worked with Mitel/Shortel tech support and verified all my port settings on the phone system and my corporate firewall.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 14 of 16
hird1301
Initiate

@UtahTech2020, it sounds like you need to change the NAT mode setting on the individual extension on your Mitel PBX. On the CP 5000/MiVoice 250 the settings are System>Devices & Feature Codes>Phones>[Extension Number]>IP Settings and changing the "NAT Address Type" to NAT.

Message 15 of 16
UtahTech2020
Aspirant

Thank you. Yes is correct. I failed to write that I had already done that. I actually found the root problem, it was NOT a problem with my router. There was one more setting I had to program on my Mitel system. 

- Navigate to System/Devices & Feature Codes/IP Connections/PXXXX (ie P6000)

- Make sure the 'NAT IP Address' has the correct publicy routable IP address

This is the same location where the port numbers used to access the system are programmed.

Thanks again.   

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements