Re: Netgear Nighthawk R9000, super fast but loses settings

ssomerset
Luminary

Netgear Nighthawk R9000, super fast but loses settings

I purchased the, honestly amazing, Netgear Nighthawk R9000 in December 2016. The WiFi speed and coverage were far better than any consumer router I've used. The device handled multiple Nest Cams with constant 1080p upload. Three laptops, printer, TV's, iPads and iPhones and never gave any issues. Needless to say, it's network performance was impressive.

The feature set of the router is just as impressive and managing the network and attached hard drives for network storage worked well.

Remote access for ReadyCloud was easy to setup and worked without issues.

Two weeks ago, since I like to keep tabs on my internet usage, I noticed that the Traffic Meter was stuck, showing all zeros accross the board. I wrote this off to a minor glitch. I never managed to find out what caused this because...

On Sunday the router lost all it's settings. The WiFi SSIDs all reset to default, and so I connected directly with Ethernet to see what was going on and was greeted with the welcom screen for initial setup. After running through the default steps to set the router up, and uploading a backup of the router configuration, I thought I was back up and running. Until the router asked me to restart after making the changes to the settings. Upon restarting, the router jumped straight back initial setup screen, as if I had just performed a factory reset.

I'm a little disappointed but I'll follow Netgears support with this and see where it gets me. I'll keep this post updated as it moves along.

If anyone else has experienced this issue, it would be helpful to post here as well

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Firmware version installed? Current would be 1.0.1.36 (which was not held in the live update channel for a long time), curret Beta would be 1.0.2.18 (see forum overview).

R U sure nobody played with the reset button?

Message 2 of 9
ssomerset
Luminary

Hi schumaku, thanks for the reply. That is the fimware version installed, 1.0.1.36.

I wish it was just a reset button problem. The problem is persistent though, and even after setting the router up again, or uploading my backup configuration files, after a restart or a few hours of uptime, it's back to square one... on a restart, all settings are lost immediately. After a few hours of running, the first symptom is that the WiFi access points literallly disappear. At this point, it's still possible to log in and see the settings, but there is no way to get the wifi access points back. Turning them off and on again from the admin page doesn't work, so, the next action is to perform a restart. And then, obviously, the settings are are all gone.
Message 3 of 9
William10a
Master

If it were a tv I would think that the push button was breaking down but the I would be hard press to think the reset button is unless it is stick in partiality close some how due how new the router is normal thake s years of sue for a push button to go bad on it's own.

Yes I talking about rhe reset button the router unless a software of hardward issue there is no reason that the router should reset itself.

Message 4 of 9
AudiTuner
Luminary

Same issue as original poster here.  In my case I upgraded to beta v1.0.2.18 from v1.0.1.36 and immediately ran into problems - during the firmware upgrade process I was not prompted if I'd like to replace v1.0.1.36 with v.1.0.2.18, it just immediately went through.  Afterwards the router had factory reset itself and continued to do so everytime the router was rebooted.  I tried downgrading back to v1.0.1.36 and had the same results.  Tried multiple times to restore the unit's functionality by factory resetting via the reset button or over the web interface but nothing helped.  When the router was online only about half of my 2.4GHz products could connect to the router.  Any attemps at loading a configuration file (either saved or a brand new one I created to try to troubleshoot the router) resulted in a factory reset as well.  I also had issues aquiring an internet connection through the router as well during this time.

In the end I returned the router and purchased a different one.  It was too much of a headache to keep and troubleshoot plus the phone tech support was sub-par (to put it mildly) with foreign tech support people and extended hold times.

Message 5 of 9
short_lurker
Luminary

Very interesting that it wasn't just me.

I also had traffic meter running just to watch the usage and noticed the zero values in the table. Eventually I decided to restart the router and was greeted by the setup screen.

I had made backup of my config a few months ago and attempted to restore it and still went back to the setup screen. So my backup config files were useless.

Message 6 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I tried replicating the scenario but didn't get a reset problem.

The settings on my router is still intact. However, I didn't also get the usual prompt to confirm if I wanted to upgrade the current fw to the fw that I will be uploading. 

So far, the router hasn't rebooted yet nor its settings were reset. 

Did you guys try factory reset?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 9
short_lurker
Luminary

During the time I was fiddling with it I did do a  factory reset through Administration and the physical button in the rear. This then was confirmed that the router password reset back to default.

The first two times I did the factory reset described above I tried to restore my backup config and immediately the router password was changed as the prompt for the login information was asked. After it finished restoring the settings it would go back to the initial setup page and no other setting stuck.

I have not tried to restart the router since then as I fear I would have downtime while setting up the router again if the newly created backup config file will not restore the settings.

Message 8 of 9
ssomerset
Luminary

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the reply. In my case the problem appeared out of nowhere, it wasn't after I tried to do a firmware update. My router had been running really well and so I had no need to update the firmware. The last changes I made to the router were about 10 days prior, and it was simply adding reserved addresses to the DHCP configuration.

I haven't tried a factory reset (it seemed to be to doing that all by itself 😛 ) I'll give that a try. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E