Re: Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 poor quality firmware updates

softerist
Apprentice

Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 poor quality firmware updates

1) Readyshare from USB_Storage not working properly since firmware version 1.0.5.2 - and this is a very big problem

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-X10-Nighthowk-Firmware-Version-1-0-5-8...

2) QoS it's also damaged since firmware version 1.0.5.2

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Start-QoS-Failed-12-2019/m-p/1843904

3) Plex Media Server no longer available for download or update since firmware version 1.0.5.18. Downgrading the firmware to any version doesn't fix anything

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Plex-Media-Server-not-working-on-Nighthawk-X...

I'm so grateful for the other updates, features and bugfixes that had beed released since 2016, but if this core features are not working properly, seems like they can't be fixed at all. And I really don't understand why.

X10 is such a greate device, on of the best out there, a feature proof and good investment, but I can't be silent about this problemes anymore.

I hope the best.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

@Christian_R  does Netgear QA not have an R9000 at hand for testing?

How comes .18 was not made available (months after the .15 Beta) in the Beta community?

Worst: Why was the telnet option removed from /debug.htm please????? Appears somebody does hate when we look under the hood! 

On .15 we discovered the udhcpd.leases was not updated at all. And why ever some RD heroes decided to go away from the to udhcpd - prohibiting now to introduce the year-long requested automatic local DNS feature readily available on the original code (but never made available by Netgear).

@softerist wrote:

1) Readyshare from USB_Storage not working properly since firmware version 1.0.5.2 - and this is a very big problem

Agree, authorized access does still not work (admin and password). Changing the password does not help either. Shame Netgear!

@softerist wrote:

2) QoS it's also damaged since firmware version 1.0.5.2

QoS started nicely on the .15 Beta. 

QoS started after the update from .15 to .18 for me.

Disabling QoS and Enabling QoS again works here on .18.

Potentially related to an old QoS DB? No idea - here we have netgear-detection-db-v1.80  Release Date: Mar 23 2020

@softerist wrote:

3) Plex Media Server no longer available for download or update since firmware version 1.0.5.18. Downgrading the firmware to any version doesn't fix anything

Plex Version Update
 Enable Automatic Plex New Version Update

Current Plex version: 1.18.3.2156-349e9837e  Jan 14, 2020

New Plex version: 1.19.4.2935-79e214ead  Jan 14, 2020

A new Plex version is available. Do you want to update?   Update Now

...release date for this new Plex version in late June 2020, so the date is another bug, this does end in (the typo is free)...

Unknow error.  

...whatever happened under the hood. 

Netgear does continue to ruin the small remaining reputation in the consumer router business (here a 499 USD unit...).

Message 2 of 3
WA4CUA
Guide

Agreed. There is absolutely no excuse for the Plex problems with this release. This could have easily been tested on a unit prior to releasing the update. Come on, NetGear, show your face in this blog and offer your apologies and make another false promise to fix your mistake.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements