Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)'s power goes off incessantly

tishbite
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)'s power goes off incessantly

My Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000)'s power goes off incessantly. We discovered that in the middle of demanding work, the network goes out, only to look at the signal lights of the Nighthawk, it is discovered that the indicator lights are either totally out or the power light shows amber.

I initially thought it were a power issue, but it was plugged also to a UPS just as the other router in the office. I waited again to have the Nighthawk to come up, and when it does after a couple of minutes, we (devices - one at a time) try to reconnect to the Nighthawk x6 (monitioring the now beaming lights).

The connection takes longer time, suddenly the once beaming light goes out totally leaving the power light to amber.

Heck, this is not comfortable. Could someone tell me know if you experience this also and how could it be solved.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

10.0.0.1 is a problem in my opinion. It's caused when the r8000 is connected to another router AKA "Double Nat" 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 16

All Replies

Have you tried it independently of the UPS?

Maybe it is playing up.

Message 2 of 16
tishbite
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Have you tried it independently of the UPS?

Maybe it is playing up.

No, I have not really tried powering the Nighthawk independent of UPS especially to aviod power cut off, and by extension - network distruption. I'll give it a trial now. I will let you know how it goes. If it works without UPS, then that would be another problem to resume investigations; until then.

Thank you Michael.

Message 3 of 16

Just trying to eliminate variables. As the issue seems to be power rather than anything easily pinned on the router, that is where I would look first.

Another possibility is that the transformer is playing up.

If the other router has the same transformer, then swapping them around would also be worth trying.

Message 4 of 16
tishbite
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Just trying to eliminate variables. As the issue seems to be power rather than anything easily pinned on the router, that is where I would look first.

If the other router has the same transformer, then swapping them around would also be worth trying.

Do you mean the internal transformer of the devices? Wouldn't that break warranty for the devices. Please explain better just in case I don't understand that aspect of transformer swap.

One quick question please. I discovered that in error the other router (which provides internet to the Nighthawk for broadcast) was confirgured with same Default Gateway IP Address (192.168.1.1) as the Nighthawk. Although the Nighthawk automatically reconfigured its Default Gateway IP Address (10.0.0.1) since it was set to DHCP. Could this have any effect to its power instability? Just wondering.

Message 5 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The R8000 power adapter should be 12VDC @ 5amps Make sure you didn't switch it.

Message 6 of 16
tishbite
Aspirant

@searay wrote:

@THE R8000 power adapter should be 12VDC @ 5amps Make sure you didn't switch it.

No. I didn't switch the power adapter. I still use the power adapter accompanied with the Nighthawk from the pack.

Just to add, the Nighthawk seems to stay on longer today after it was plugged independent of the UPS. I haven't returned it back to the UPS yet. It's off now as am out of the office. I would continue this test run on Monday God willing.

i would be glad to arm myself with as much troubleshooting solutions, as powering the Nighthawk independent of a UPS would harm user connectivity in cases of power fluctuations.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

10.0.0.1 is a problem in my opinion. It's caused when the r8000 is connected to another router AKA "Double Nat" 

Message 8 of 16

@tishbite wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

Do you mean the internal transformer of the devices? Wouldn't that break warranty for the devices. Please explain better just in case I don't understand that aspect of transformer swap.

The transformer is the thing you plug into the wall to reduce the 120/240 volts from your mains into something that the router uses. It transforms mains voltage to the 12 volts for your device.

Transformers, sometimes confusingly dubbed power supplies, are known to go wrong. It is usually possible to replace them with something that puts out the same voltage and that can deliver the required current.

If you have two Netgear devices with the same current needs, then you can switch their transformers. This will show if one of these transformers is on the blink.

Message 9 of 16
tishbite
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@tishbite wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

The transformer is the thing you plug into the wall to reduce the 120/240 volts from your mains into something that the router uses. It transforms mains voltage to the 12 volts for your device.

Transformers, sometimes confusingly dubbed power supplies, are known to go wrong. It is usually possible to replace them with something that puts out the same voltage and that can deliver the required current.

If you have two Netgear devices with the same current needs, then you can switch their transformers. This will show if one of these transformers is on the blink.

1478436272105.jpegIMG_0125.JPGKindly advice me with regards to the voltages as seen in the above images.

Thank you.

Message 10 of 16
tishbite
Aspirant

@searay wrote:

I will change one of the routers to 192.168.2.1 while the Nighthawk can retained it's reconfigured Address (192.168.1.1). I'll watch the results.

Thank you.

Message 11 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Still a double NAT

Message 12 of 16
tishbite
Aspirant

@searay wrote:

Still a double NAT

What do you advice? Had to stop by the office to try out some advice from here. Find the below pictures what I have done. Offer your kind advice so not run in same problem again even if maybe, that's not the reason for the previous issue.

IMG_0129.JPGThe above image is the configuration from the router that provides internet to the Nighthawk. That's from one of it's Ethernet port to R8000's WAN port.

IMG_0131.JPGThis above image is the configuration summary page of the Nighthawk.

Advice me please.

PS: Just to say that, the Nighthawk is still powered on and hasn't powered down on it's own for the last one hour.

Message 13 of 16
tishbite
Aspirant

Sorry, had to change the DNS (10.109.2.97) on R8000 to LAN IP (192.168.20.20) on D-Link before the webpages began to work.

Message 14 of 16
tishbite
Aspirant

Hello.

I waited till this time to see if the challenge will return, thankfully, it has not.

I want to say thank you to all who contributed, and offering possible solutions.

God bless you all.

Message 15 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi tishbite,

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7