Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk X6 router problems

crockwaxi
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk X6 router problems

I recently upgraded my internet speed from Xfinity. I have the "blast" package which is 105mbps download. I had an older router which was having trouble with the fast speeds so i bought the Netgear Nighthawk. A triband router with 2.4.ghz and 2 5ghz bands. I have a bunch of wirless things connected to it. laptops, ipads, iphones etc. The only things that can connect to the 5ghz band for the faster speeds are the ipads and iphones. I have a gaming pc on the second floor and the wirless router is downstairs. I also have a netgear wifi adapter for the gaming pc so it can recognize the 5ghz band which was working great Hitting speeds of 120mbps download numerous times. I purchased the Nighthawk yesterday and the gaming pc as of last night was hitting upwards of 129mbps! i get home from work today and on the 5ghz band the gaming pc is barely hitting 30mbps download. It seems theres a problem with the 5ghz bands because everything else on the 2.4 bands are working fine. Some are even getting faster speeds than normal. Sorry if this was long winded but ive been going through all this for about 3 weeks now. If anyone has any suggestions or fixes for this problem i would GREATLY appreciate it!

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk X6 router problems

A couple things. 

1. What actual router did you get? look at the label.X6 isn't a model

2. what firmware is on it?

3. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

4. Are you using smart connect? (combines all the ssid's into one) If so, disable that and name the ssid's their own name and then you can choose which band each device connects to. Otherwise devices steer themselves. Or you can leave it enabled and let them bandsteer. In windows pc's, usually in the device manager, you can go into your wireless card settings and change it to prefer 5ghz band. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7