Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Nighthawk ax4

Hibci
Aspirant

Netgear Nighthawk ax4

I bought the Nighthawk RAX35 4-Stream Wifi 6 Router and hooked it up to my Modem. I also bought the Orbi whole home wifi system. Are they the same thing or can I hook them up together. And if they are the same thing which one is better and stronger to use. 

Message 1 of 5

You now have two routers. Why did  you do that?

One is probably enough. The Orbi should suffice, but if you do run the two side by side, then you probably should use the Orbi in wireless access point mode to avoid the usual "double NAT" issue.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A lot of people use an Orbi system in AP mode, especially if they have a decent router in front of it. Only you know which of your two routers provides the best features for your needs.

Message 2 of 5
Hibci
Aspirant

Thank you for the help. We bought the nighthawk as the router and the Orbi as a booster not mowing the Orbi was a router to.  Which one is the faster and stronger of the two.

Message 3 of 5
Hibci
Aspirant

We bought the Nighthawk as the router and then we bought the Orbi as a range booster not knowing the Orbi was a router to.  Which one is stronger and faster. 

Message 4 of 5

@Hibci wrote:

We bought the Nighthawk as the router and then we bought the Orbi as a range booster not knowing the Orbi was a router to.  Which one is stronger and faster. 

That's one of those questions that is impossible to answer. Different devices with different objectives aimed at different markets.

The RAX35 is likely to have more features as a router whereas the Orbi could do better wifi. It will also be simpler to use and set up.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7