Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk not getting full speeds from router

yakulebak
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk not getting full speeds from router

I pay for 400/mbs down because that is the best I can get in my area regretfully, but even if I could get Gig speeds, my router seems to be struggling even getting 140/mbs.

I had a Spectrum tech come out, he checked everything outside and inside on a physical level. Even tested the speeds coming out of the modem and he hit 500/mbs. He used the same cable I use to connect my modem to my router, so I'm not thinking that's the problem here.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900. Technical specs state that it should be able to handle gig speeds, but I can't even get half of what I pay for when wired in with CAT 5,6,7, or 8 and everything in between. None of the cables are over 10 feet.

I've reset it, replaced cables, turned off QoS, turned it back on (didn't make a difference), altered the limits QoS was set to, and regretfully paid for a 6 month plan of Netgear's gearhead tech support, among other things.

The thing is it was working perfectly fine up till about a week or so ago, then I noticed that my home was having speed and bandwidth issues, which never proved a problem even with 2 pcs gaming(both wired), a xbox gaming(wireless), music streaming(wired), and phones streaming(wireless) at the same time. I was kinda proud of it all till this point.

I've thought about buying a Gig switch, so I can bypass the router for my wired devices, but then I was worried about possible IP conflicts between devices, especially when trying to play games online together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'll try to provide as much info as I can when asked.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk not getting full speeds from router

1. what router do you have? 

2. what firmware is on it? 

3. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

4. how are you testing speeds? Wired? wireless? And if wireless is it over 2.4ghz/5ghz?

5. what device are you testing on (specifics to it)?

6. Did you try a factory reset and testing from stock (without enabling/changing anything)?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7