Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk too good for my broadband???

MarnelKelis
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk too good for my broadband???

Hi, I'm in the UK and I've just had an Openreach engineer visit because my internet connection has been playing up. I'm currently with Sky and the engineer said that my "Netgear Nighthawk router is too good for our broadband (15Mb yes Mb) and that it is slowing down the internet". When i first got the Nighthawk the speeds were perfectly "normal". I'm tempted to just replace the Sky Hub with a 3rd party modem, but not sure if sky will **bleep** my speeds because of it.

Does anyone know if Sky have a history of slowing down your connection if you use 3rd party hardware?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk too good for my broadband???

What sky gateway/modem do you have? 

there isn't such a thing as "too good of a router' for a slower service. 

It isn't going to slow it down. Its just going to make sure you hit full speeds. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Netgear Nighthawk too good for my broadband???

@MarnelKelis wrote:

Hi, I'm in the UK and I've just had an Openreach engineer visit because my internet connection has been playing up. I'm currently with Sky and the engineer said that my "Netgear Nighthawk router is too good for our broadband (15Mb yes Mb) and that it is slowing down the internet".

Another ignorant BT technician. (Please do not call these "wire jockeys" engineers.) They say that sort of thing because they have no clue and like to pass the buck.

As @plemans says, we need to know what you now have as a modem. Sky has handed out various boxes over the years. I don't think they are as outrageous as BT in supplying modem/routers that can't work in modem only mode. You need that to get the unnamed Netgear router to work.

@MarnelKelis wrote:

Does anyone know if Sky have a history of slowing down your connection if you use 3rd party hardware?

Unlikely, they may not even know what sits at your end.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7