Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6400v2 router loses internet connection daily

JoshJoe34
Initiate

Netgear R6400v2 router loses internet connection daily

I've only had this router for a few months (purchased earlier this year). It worked well for a time but now daily (sometimes more than once a day) I get a notification on my phone that I'm connected to my wifi but Internet may not be available. My laptops will lose internet connection as well. If I reboot my Netgear router (at first I also rebooted the modem as well but have since realized that only the router needs to be rebooted) Internet is restored on all devices. That works for a few hours to a day or so before I have to repeat the process.

I have no problem with an occasional reboot needed but daily or multiple times a day is inexcusable and extremely inconvenient.

I updated the firmware on my router (currently at V1.0.4.102_10.0.75) and for a few days that seemed to help. But I have had to reboot twice already this morning to fix the internet issue. I've seen some people mention on the forums that reverting to an old firmware version has helped with similar issues but I really don't want to reset my router to factory defaults or use an old firmware version if there are any other options.

Anyone experiencing this same issue? Or anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
JoshJoe34
Initiate

Re: Netgear R6400v2 router loses internet connection daily

I ended up resetting my router to factory default and downgrading the firmware to 1.0.3.66 and disabled automatic updates like I saw recommended on a couple of other threads. Since then I have had no disconnects or needs to restart the router (it's been a few weeks). 

While I'm happy this seems to have resolved the issue, it's pretty embarassing for Netgear that a roll back of firmware to a much earlier version is what it takes to resolve a seemingly simple, yet widespread, problem. I don't understand why they don't have this better documented or have a fix in place (or at least in the works) for an issue like this. I think this will be the last Netgear router I buy. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
JoshJoe34
Initiate

Re: Netgear R6400v2 router loses internet connection daily

I ended up resetting my router to factory default and downgrading the firmware to 1.0.3.66 and disabled automatic updates like I saw recommended on a couple of other threads. Since then I have had no disconnects or needs to restart the router (it's been a few weeks). 

While I'm happy this seems to have resolved the issue, it's pretty embarassing for Netgear that a roll back of firmware to a much earlier version is what it takes to resolve a seemingly simple, yet widespread, problem. I don't understand why they don't have this better documented or have a fix in place (or at least in the works) for an issue like this. I think this will be the last Netgear router I buy. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7