Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R6700 reverting from dd-wrt

ghent
Aspirant

Netgear R6700 reverting from dd-wrt

I flashed my R6700 router with dd-wrt and was using it fine for quite sometime. I then wanted to revert back to the Stock firmware and tried to use the dd-wrt admin tab to update. Interestingly it did everything and rebooted but stayed back on dd-wrt. 

Did googling around and tried various suggestions including the hard reset. Now at the end, I have this router powered on with various lights (no red), but doesn't show up as dd-wrt or netgear. Tried to hard wire to laptop and tried the tftp, can't send the firmware file to the router. Any other option?

Thanks.

vn

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ghent
Aspirant

Ok, at least I have established that my wifi is being seen as dd-wrt. But when I try to connect to it, it does not ask for username but only WPA2 password. The default after factory reset should be "password", but that does not seem to work in any combination, like "Password", etc. May be dd-wrt forum could provide some help?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] tried to use the dd-wrt admin tab to update. [...]

Not a very detailed description of what you did.  What file did you
try to load?

> [...] Tried to hard wire to laptop and tried the tftp, can't send the
> firmware file to the router. [...]

"tried the tftp" omits many details of a multi-step procedure.
"can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what you
did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual, showing
actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

I don't know how any of that works when non-Netgear firmware is
installed.

> [...] Any other option?

There may be a serial-port scheme, but it requires additional
hardware.

Message 2 of 6
ghent
Aspirant

I uploaded, "R6700-V1.0.1.48_10.0.46.chk" via admin tab of the dd-wrt web interface. It showed it applied the firmware. However, after reboot it came back to dd-wrt web ui. I then tried the factory reset and also 30-30-30 method. They didn't make any difference.

When I tried to use tftp to upload the firmware to the router, it asked me for the router ip address, which I figured and provided after some ping test when the router was hard wired to mac. I then tried both "password" and no password. But I got the error as, "Error: No response from server".

So, my router comes up with following lights:

white light on power: Good

White light on 2.4ghz and 5ghz

White light on the last 2 wifi status indicators

When I look into wifi devices list on my laptop, it shows dd-wrt but that's not mine as even after disconnecting power from router, none of them disappear. No new one appears in that list when the router is powered back on.

Thank you.

Message 3 of 6
ghent
Aspirant

Ok, at least I have established that my wifi is being seen as dd-wrt. But when I try to connect to it, it does not ask for username but only WPA2 password. The default after factory reset should be "password", but that does not seem to work in any combination, like "Password", etc. May be dd-wrt forum could provide some help?

Message 4 of 6
ghent
Aspirant

Re: Netgear R6700 reverting from dd-wrt - SOLVED

It turns out that even though I did factory reset the router with flashed dd-wrt, the default password is still the factory passowrd written on the router and not the dd-wrt default password.

Message 5 of 6
ghent
Aspirant

Re: Netgear R6700 reverting from dd-wrt - SOLVED

Incorrect post happened to be marked as solution. Moderator please do the needful and pick the answer that says,  the password is found on the router. That's the correct solution.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7