Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6700v3 keep disconnecting from Comcast

exasp
Aspirant

Netgear R6700v3 keep disconnecting from Comcast

For the first month i owned Netgear R6700v3, I didnt have issue. But following that, I just keep encountering the issue where the internet will keep disconnecting. It is very exasperating especially when I need to have Zoom calls these days. 

I have read through some of the troubleshooting techniques in the forum, and I understand Firmware version was an issue for some people. Therefore, I dont have the latest version of firmware installed, but an earlier version which appeared to be recommended in the past (V1.0.3.66_10.0.50). Doing this step seems to solve the problem slightly, but it is still not perfect. I am still getting disconnected, but less often. I do not have Netgear Armor installed, so that is not an interfering factor.

Can anyone please offer further advice? I shouldnt need to keep fixing this issue. Prior to owning Netgear R6700v3, I wasnt having any issues at all when I was using the Comcast rental modem. I am not very techy, so if you could kindly guide me through, I will greatly appreciate it. 

My details

Hardware Version R6700v3

Firmware Version V1.0.3.66_10.0.50

GUI Language Version V1.0.4.100_2.1.38.1

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear R6700v3 keep disconnecting from Comcast

so the R6700 worked great for a month? 

Did anything change?

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

do wired and wireless devices drop?

Message 2 of 10
exasp
Aspirant

well, it worked for a few weeks without any drop in internet, then after that, that's when problem keep happening

it's connected to Netgear CM1000

I suspect it is the wired internet that drop most of the time. because it is my laptop that's regularly having issues. my cell phone, which is only connected via wireless, can still load up a browser sometimes even when my laptop hit a snag (to be clear, this cell is on airplane, wireless mode most of the time. so the LTE is not assisting here)

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Is the issue happening all the time or does it only crop up occasionally? 

Message 4 of 10
exasp
Aspirant

internet dropped sometimes 5 times a day, sometimes 10, sometimes once. and of course murphy's law, it will always happen when i need it the most. 

like i said, the situation has improved a heck lot ever since i used the older firmware version. before that, it was dropping even more often. why do netgear users have to resort to this, it doesnt make sense, that the new firmware version - whatever bug it carries - cant be fixed to avoid this problem. especially when so many users seem to be experiencing the same issue.

one thing i have to mention -  as of now, i am not "enabling AP mode". I tried that previously, and all my devices got disconnected. keep saying IP cannot be found etc. and i have no way to find out what's my new IP since i have zero internet. isnt this a chicken and egg problem?!

anyway, in the end, i didnt know how to solve this problem. so i do the dumb method, which is to reboot  / factory reset everything, to get back to where i was. so the settings right now is as i described in post #1 (old firmware, no AP mode)

any other way to improve it to 0 drop in internet?

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

The CM1000 doesn't have its own integrated router. When you put the R6700 in AP mode, nothing was controlling dhcp. Which is why that ran into issues. 

what I'd try doing, based of the fact its dropping multiple times a day, is to direct connect a pc/laptop to the cm1000 and use it for a day. See if it stays stable or if it drops. Its always good to start at step 1 and ensure the basic connection is good. 

If that stays stable, then we move onto the router. 

Message 6 of 10
exasp
Aspirant

ok, i will try that

one thing i know now for sure. this issue is only affecting my laptop. not my cell phone (without LTE). 

i have internet dropped a few times again the past few days and was checking them closely. every single time it happen, i can still use internet on my cell phone, while i cannot on my laptop.

so i dont know what's the interfering factor within the laptop (?) because clearly my cell can still be connected to wireless when internet drops.

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

so only 1 device is affected by this? 

Message 8 of 10
exasp
Aspirant

yes. seems to be the case.

i have VoIP connected to router as well but it is not affected by the "outage" whenever it hits my laptop.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

I'd be looking closer at that device then. 

when we run into issues with 1 device, it tends to be the device. when its over several, then we look more at the router. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7