Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear R7000 Ethernet ports - Transfer speeds

Roberteddy
Aspirant

Netgear R7000 Ethernet ports - Transfer speeds

Hello all you expert people.

First off, I read through all the suggested previous posts that "may be related to my question". Got some good info but alas, I'm still a bit confused.

My R7000 is sitting behind my ISP's gateway (A Pace piece of garbage) connected through a DMZ assigned port.
In my home, in addition to a wifi network with everything from phones to smart tv's on it, we have three hard wired devices connected to the R7000 in ports 1, 3, and 4.  Port 2 is blank for no particular reason.

Port 1 is my PC upstairs. Ports 3 and 4 are my xbox one console (port 3) and my son's brand new HP Omen gaming computer. (Port 4).

What is not making sense to me is that my upstairs PC is a white LED while his gaming PC and my console are amber LEDs. 
The cabling to the best of my knowledge is all cat 5e. I can't figure out why that one PC is operating in the gigabit range while the other two are limited to 10/100. 

It's my understanding that an xbox one console is gigabit ready. This HP Omen  computer is barely a month old at the time of this posting. It has to be gigabit capable.

From everything I've read, Cat 5e can run gigabit transfer rates, so the only limiting factor I can think of is the devices themselves, which should run in the gigabit range as well, all things remaining the same.

Is there a reason the two are being limited to 10/100 that I'm just not considering?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Try different cables. All 4 wire pairs inside an Ethernet cable are used for Gigabit Ethernet.

Check the Ethernet driver settings on the HP. Make sure it's not set to deliberately run at 100 Mbps.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Try different cables. All 4 wire pairs inside an Ethernet cable are used for Gigabit Ethernet.

Check the Ethernet driver settings on the HP. Make sure it's not set to deliberately run at 100 Mbps.
Message 2 of 6
Roberteddy
Aspirant

I was thinking the same thing. I'll check that when I can rip him away from Diablo. 

Something else weird.. the PC that's getting the gigabit speeds was connected to its jack with cat 5, which according to what I've been reading, can't do gigabit.

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 6
Roberteddy
Aspirant

Creds to you for your solution. Upon looking at the HP machine, the network adaptor was set for auto (default). I forced it to 1Gb full duplex.
We've got white lights across the board.

Still puzzled that the upstairs computer is using Cat5 and is reading a gigabit connection as well but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Fibre is being installed in our area, once it's run to our house, I'm going to have every cable ripped out of this place and upgraded to Cat6 so that there's no bottlenecks anywhere.

Thanks Ether.

Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Glad you got it working.

Cat5 can do Gigabit.

Message 5 of 6

@Roberteddy wrote:

It's my understanding that an xbox one console is gigabit ready. This HP Omen  computer is barely a month old at the time of this posting. It has to be gigabit capable.

I wouldn't make too many assumptions about those speeds. I agree that a PC should be Gb, but there is still plenty of slower stuff out there.

With a new PC it is also essential to check for the latest drivers. Stuff rarely lands on your desk with the latest. You may have to track down the chipset drivers from whoever made the motherboard.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7