Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R7000 IPv6 ICMP Filtered

malacath
Aspirant

Netgear R7000 IPv6 ICMP Filtered

When going to http://ipv6-test.com/

The test only gives my 17/20

The reason is that ICMP is filtered which according to that site is a bad thing.

I know it is definately the router doing the filtering because I know how to stop windows filtering it and android doesn't filter it by default.

I have looked in the router interface settings and cannot find any setting that will stop ICMPv6 being filtered.

Is this website correct?

Is filtering ICMP really a problem?

Will it cause problems when websites start going ipv6 only?

I have owned the router a few months now and it would be the perfect router if it wasn't for this website saying ICMP filtering is a problem.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Netgear R7000 IPv6 ICMP Filtered

malacath wrote:

Is this website correct?

Yes.

It can be a problem.  IPv6 relies on something calling PMTUD (Path MTU Discovery) to work.  Blocking ICMPv6 prevents PMTUD from working.  Unfortunately, unblocking ICMPv6 has a downside.  It can expose your devices to a certain kind of DoS attack (atomic fragment attack).  This puts you in a "Damned if you do.  Damned if you don't." situation.  There is work ongoing in the IETF (the standards group for TCP/IP Protocols) to figure out how to fix this.

In the meantime, you may find that things will work even without ICMPv6.  Consider yourself lucky.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

malacath wrote:

Is this website correct?

Yes.

It can be a problem.  IPv6 relies on something calling PMTUD (Path MTU Discovery) to work.  Blocking ICMPv6 prevents PMTUD from working.  Unfortunately, unblocking ICMPv6 has a downside.  It can expose your devices to a certain kind of DoS attack (atomic fragment attack).  This puts you in a "Damned if you do.  Damned if you don't." situation.  There is work ongoing in the IETF (the standards group for TCP/IP Protocols) to figure out how to fix this.

In the meantime, you may find that things will work even without ICMPv6.  Consider yourself lucky.

Message 2 of 5
malacath
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like it's nothing to worry about for now?

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

You may be lucky and everything works.  Or you may find that certain destinations are unreachable.

Message 4 of 5
janthony6
Guide

Who is your service provider?  My ICMP wasn't working.  Turns out it was due to ATT's RG.  Even in passthrough/DMZ+ mode, their RG blocks protocol 41 and cripples IPV6.  If you bypass their RG using a VLAN switch, you can have your router's WAN directly connected to the ONT.  Using this method with proper 6RD settings makes it work.  ICMP is reachable now.  I get 19/20 now.  The only reason I'm not getting 20/20 is due to the lack of RDNS for ATT.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7