Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk has spotty connection.

asphaltdragon
Aspirant

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk has spotty connection.

I just recently purchased an R7000 router, and it's working great... if you're on LAN. Any Wifi connections seem to have incredibly spotty connections. It'll load about 15 seconds of a Youtube video, wait around a minute, load another 15 or so seconds, wait a minute, etc, etc. My Steam downloads are downloading a few megabytes at a time every 30 seconds or so. I've tried just about every setting I could think of, and googled to see if there were other similar issues. It has just been updated to V1.0.5.64_1.1.88. Any ideas?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
asphaltdragon
Aspirant

Re: Netgear R7000 Nighthawk has spotty connection.

I think I'm just going to go back to my DGL-5500. I know that works. Only reason I picked up the Nighthawk is because my moronic ISP thought my router was bad. And then it turned out to be their modem. At least I'll get the $200 I spent on the Nighthawk back. Thanks for all your help, Ether.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Did you perform a factory reset after updating?  A factory reset is a must-do especially if you upgraded from 1.0.4.30 or earlier.  The configuration settings are incompatible.  After you perform the reset, reconfigure all settings by hand.  Do not restore from a backup file saved with the earlier version because it, too, is incompatible.

Message 2 of 9
asphaltdragon
Aspirant

Never mind, I seem to have figured it out. Apparently, it was an issue with port forwarding for Steam. I set up the ports as suggested on Valve's support page for Steam downloads and it fixed everything else, it seems. If anyone else has an R7000 and is having issues, this may help: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

Message 3 of 9
asphaltdragon
Aspirant

I spoke too soon. Still having issues, though the connection appears a little more stable now. I'll try the factory reset and see what happens.

Message 4 of 9
TheEther
Guru

That steam article could be a little more clear about which direction to open the ports.  You don't need to do anything in the outbound direction.  You only need to open ports for the inbound direction.  Also, if you using QoS, then try turning it off.  Sometimes, it hurts more than it helps.

Message 5 of 9
asphaltdragon
Aspirant

Tried a factory reset, still having the same issues, even after manual configuration.

Message 6 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?  2.4 GHz is more crowded and subject to a lot more interference.  Use 5 GHz, if your devices support it.

Did you try changing the Wi-Fi channel?

Message 7 of 9
asphaltdragon
Aspirant

Yes, tried both. I've set the channel on 2.4 to 7 from Auto, and 5 is on 153, which was the default. It's doing it on both of them. QoS is also turned off, not sure I answered you on that earlier.

Message 8 of 9
asphaltdragon
Aspirant

I think I'm just going to go back to my DGL-5500. I know that works. Only reason I picked up the Nighthawk is because my moronic ISP thought my router was bad. And then it turned out to be their modem. At least I'll get the $200 I spent on the Nighthawk back. Thanks for all your help, Ether.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7